LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Whirlpool washer issue model wtw4800XQ4

bobby_d

My issue is the same as this 10 year old post, just for a different model.

The washer's problem is specific to the wash cycle.  Other cycles work just fine.

1. I set the washer & press start button.
  2. Washer fills with water.
  3. Agitation cycle starts.
  4. Motor hums softly rather than the normal agitation sounds.
  5. I open the lid and observe the lower agitator spinning in sync with the basket.  (its as though the basket and lower agitator are fused together)
  6. The the agitator and basket brake to a stop.
  7. Clothes are wrapped around the agitator.
  8. I close the lid and press start again.
  9. Washer drains okay.
  10. Remaining rinse, spin, etc. cycles complete normally.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bob

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobby_d

• certified tech group 51

• Hiroshi

• N9ZN-Extra

Your model number is for what is referred to as a VMW washer... 

Tip the washer back against the wall (far enough that it will not fall on you), remove the plastic slotted belt guard (5/16" nut) and expose the belt and pulleys.

There is a shift actuator off to one side (brick red in color) that has a plastic post coming out of one side of it- the post should be placed around a white plastic loop... this is how the washer shifts between agitate and spin.

The plastic post is part of what is called the "splutch" assembly. So, either you have a damaged splutch that cannot shift into agitate, or you have a failing shift actuator itself that is not moving the splutch into agitate position,( which should disengage the spin tub so only the agitator moves).

The next step is to find the Tech sheet:  The tech sheet is INSIDE the cabinet, at approximately where your left hip is when standing directly in front of the machine... you will have to pull the tub out of the way and fish your arm around until you feel the plastic bag it is in... Don't LOSE the tech sheet (replace it when you're done to avoid this).

TEST #3a: Drive System – Shifter This test checks connections, shifter motor, switch, and optical sensor

You will use the tech sheet to enter test mode- then, perform test 3a. Generally, I kick it into test mode and listen for the clicking sounds the shifter makes, but you can also initiate a shift and tip the unit back again to visually confirm it is shifting. If the unit is shifting, but the agitation is STILL wrong, you will have to pull apart the "splutch" and investigate possible physical breakage causing your symptom... Don't let machine go into spin while it is tipped back or it will bang around and land on your foot ( or head).

Getting at the splutch is easy at this stage- there is one visible nut holding the drive pulley on and after removing that, the splutch assembly comes apart in layers.

Part number: WPW10006355

Part number: WPW10006355 Shift actuator

Part number: W10721967

Part number: W10721967 Splutch Assembly

Thanks for the help.  Running the agitate diagnostics showed me that instead of oscillating, the agitator is spinning in just one direction. The machine does switch between spin and agitate. I even stopped the wash cycle and restarted it and the agitator was working correctly.  

I'll pull apart the "splutch" this weekend. 

Thanks for your help!

Bob.

Agitator only moving in one direction is most likely the control board... It has "triacs" that control motor direction. The splutch only switches between spin and agitate, it doesn't affect the direction of the motor during agitate.

You will want to meter test the motor windings to be sure... 

Part number: W10480177

Part number: W10480177

• 3 weeks later...

My machine also agitates during rinse cycles. You indicated remaining cycles after the inoperative wash cycle were working properly.

I am no expert but this would tell me the electronic controls sending the signals for the machine to agitate are defective only while in wash cycle.

If this is the situation I would think the splutch is operating as it should and the problem is with the machine cycle selection apparatus or other electronic components. This reason I mention this is it may save the need to check the motor windings.

Wish I knew more about how your machine works but if I am right Hiroshi can confirm this for you and tell you what part is needed. I hope my observation helps.

while you are under the machine, remove the capacitor and get a good look at it................. any  bulges or heat marks on the capacitor= replacement....P/N W10390451

Edited by certified tech group 51

• 3 months later...

Following the diagnostic tests in the tech manual. All signs pointed to the control board so I replaced it. Strange thing is the agitate tests with the new board still only spun in one direction, but the washer worked.  That is for about 4 months.  I ran all the tests again ( wire harness,  motor windings, control board ) and all signs pointed to the controle board again. But this time I replaced the capacitor instead . The agitator tests now pass and the wash cycles perform correctly.  Wish I had a meter to test capacitors. Would have saved me the cost of a control board. 

Supco....MFD 10... you may not use it every month, but it is good to have in the service van...