Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE WSXH208H1WW washer has pen stuck in drum

domr

Let me see if I can describe this problem.  A pen broke in the washer and the inside section as shown in the picture is jammed in one of the holes in the drum.  The plastic ink well went into one of the holes and only the tip of the ballpoint is accessible.  I can pinch the tip between my fingernails but can't grip it hard enough to dislodge it.  To make it worse it is in a hole closest to the door so I can only see it if I stick my head in and look down.  If I try to use my needle nose pliers I can't see what I am doing since there is no room for my arm and head in the opening.  Is there any way to push it from the back?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

pen99_zpspzcfs9xc.png

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• domr

• abaesemann

• leamy

• johntech

If you can't get ahold of it then the only option is to pull the front half of the outter tub. 

Only way is to split the tub and basket,how about using a mirror (maybe a makeup/compact mirror) and then looking into that and needle nose pliers. Just like a dentist would do.

Use a small wire or paper clip bend a little hook bent on the end. Try to get the hook behind it and pull it out.

I like the idea of the wire cutters.  I have a small set and maybe with a mirror it might work.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  

Use one hand with the pliers and the other hand to feel where you are putting the pliers.

Now I can't seem to locate the pen.  But I am wondering if I have another problem.  The washer has not been used in three days and there is 4 inches of water in the drum.  In the past we have seen water in the drum but just thought someone stopped the washer early.  So I have 2 questions

1. Do I now have another problem?

2. How do you open the drum?  Is it difficult?  Do I need special tools?

I guess it's more than 2 questions.

Does not look like your pump has a clean out, so you need a shop vac and the gain access to drain pump and and coin trap drain boot to see if that is plugged and maybe pen ended up there. You do not really want to split the tub in half to find that.

And yes you may have other issues if there is water in it and no one has used it.

Maybe  a bad valve or low drain and it has been going back into washer.

I have removed the boot in the past due to bobby-pins.  Same daughter with the pen.  Hopefully the pen made it there.

Not sure I understand what you mean by low drain?  The drain is set up at the proper height.

Proper height as in around 44 - 48 inches +\-,  and Hose sitting inside pipe no more than 4-6 inches.

The drain pipe is set just as you said so I think there may be a valve problem.  I guess the first thing I should do is get the pen out.  Then address the water issue.