Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Refrigerator top evaporator fan motor not working.

bowhunter

Model # GFE29HGDAWW French door model. Took it all apart to get to the suspected non running evaporator fan motor in the fresh food section. Fan motor doesn't turn freely. It turns but with some resistance. This is the first computer cooling motor I have ever seen in a refrigerator. It seems obvious that this is the problem. Upon looking at the new part it comes with instructions to reprogram the fan motor and comes with a lead that must go to the circuit board for this to be accomplished. Besides this the drain area was full of ice which I removed and cleared the drain. It also looks like GE has adopted an old trick that I have used many times by putting a solid wire from low on the evaporator (by the heater) partly down the drain. Can you think of anything I have overlooked as far as the evaporator fan motor? Thanks 

It is called a "software update module kit." There is no way to service these motors, so you are on the right track simply replacing it... it should come with the pieces pictured here...      Part number: WR49X25197   The "heat probe" that feeds into the drain has been in use for ages, but it doesn't sound like yours was working very well if the pan was full of ice!

Evaporator Fan Motor - Part # 4248203 Mfg Part # WR49X25197

Edited by Hiroshi

That is the first heat probe I've ever seen. Usually on older machines they use to install a foiled back heat tape similar to a mullion heater in the drain. I take it I'll have to access the control board to do update? maybe why the heat probe isn't working as well is that I have always installed them right over the calrod element and this was over the evaporator line close to it. Its a radiant heater(glass) so I'm sure that's why its off to the side and not in direct contact. Thanks for the help.

Part number: WR2X9393

Part number: WR2X9393 this is great for wrapping around cal-rod heaters.

True, there is no such part for glass-tube heaters... they primarily went into Side by Side units where the heater was too far from the drain to be effective anyway.

Have another question. I received the evaporator fan motor with the software kit. In the installation instructions it says that the serial range from HD-FF needs the software change. The serial on the fridge is AA501985. Does that mean that the reprogramming is not necessary and the fan motor can just be directly installed since the serial starts with AA?

Not sure. GE technicians can connect directly to the refrigerator from their laptop. Software on the laptop indicates whether or not an update is required. Base on my experience, a unit that old would require some updates. The thing I am uncertain about is whether the Software Update Module included with the part only updates the main board to accept the fan, or if it includes all the other software tweaks adjusting other issues such as defrost times, etc...

My guess is that it wouldn't hurt to try, since at a minimum, the update will tell the main board which fan has been installed.

According to the model # it was built in April 2015. In the instructions it states HH-FF prefix on the serial # to be the indication for reprogramming. As I stated prior it starts with AA. If I go ahead and reprogram it and it already is set to receive the new fan motor it shouldn't hurt anything?

So that answers that. Looks like it gets programmed. When I looked on the GE site for deciffering the serial # it showed 2015 plus several other dates much older

• 3 weeks later...

How did this turn out for you, any tips?

Not bad at all. It would be advised to pull the plug (obviously) and after removing all the shelves and drawers, to use a hair dryer and go over the access pieces as they are frozen to where they attach. The center piece channew that runs up the back is where the fan motor resides. The emblem on top pulls off by grabbing from the top and using a hinge motion downward it pops right off. Remove the screws and lift up. That's assuming that the bottom portion is loose to where you can do that. The fan motor is not screwed in, it just fits in a slot. Watch how you take out where the harness feeds. Comes out very easy. This is not brain surgery. After reassembly plug the unit back in and allow to run a few minutes and then reboot the fridge with the equipment that comes with the fan. Again, very easy. There is instructions on how to do this with the fan motor. There are happy owners of a working fridge now. Hope this helps anyone

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone. I had a repairman come and replace the fan however he did not do any updates, the fridge is cold. I unplugged it after he replaced the fan for 2 hrs to ensure that it would turn on again and it did . Should I have it updated or will it be ok the way it is? Thank you 

The upgrade is not needed. They have finally(GE) programmed the new evap fan so you don’t have to go through updating your refrigerator to except it. I hope this helps. The fan would not run otherwise. 

• 3 years later...

the new fan # is WR60X26866, as i believe,  this ine doesn't need the upgrade,  hence doesn't come with it. I tried the upgrade on oneveith this motor, and it just blinked, wouldn't accept update