Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Evaporator Fan

Tim25

I have a Frigidaire side by side refrigerator , it's not cold enough and I checked the evap fan and its on but it varies in speed. What would cause that? I changed the fan and it does the same thing.

Thanks, Tim25

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim25

• Hiroshi

• Captain Dunsel

• 16345Ed

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tim25 said:

I have a Frigidaire side by side refrigerator , it's not cold enough and I checked the evap fan and its on but it varies in speed. What would cause that? I changed the fan and it does the same thing.

Thanks, Tim25

They vary in speed as called for by main control. 

What did the frost pattern on the evaporator look like when you first took it apart?

A "normal" frost pattern would be an even coating of frost over the entire length of the tubing that makes up the evaporator "coil."

Is the whole machine not cold enough, or just the refrigerator section?

Both sections have warm temps on top and cold temps at the bottom. For example fridge side will be 43 at the top and 25 at the bottom, the freezer would be 25 at top and -25 at bottom

The air has to have an open path to circulate- since colder air is more dense, it collects in the bottom of the compartments. The unit has to be cooling in order to get temps that low in the freezer...

I would check the operation of the damper door airway from the freezer into the fridge to see if you have airflow.

If the damper door is open, but still no air circulates- check the bottom left airway in the fridge compartment for frost or a blockage.

Let us know what the MODEL number is and the info can get a lot more specific!

Edited by Hiroshi

22 hours ago, Tim25 said:

Thanks, Tim25

Part number: 5303918476
Make sure your frost pattern is normal?
Part number: 5303918476

Read the post at like 7am, he slipped the model number in there...! 

5 hours ago, Tim25 said:

the frost pattern looked normal but if anything not enough frost

I figured this meant he saw the coils and they had no defrost failure size frost blockage... 

Checked air flow and there's no blockage , so I checked the coils again and looks like frost is only on the outside of the coils not so much in the middle coils

If there is not a full frost pattern, and the machine will not get down to temperature... it is usually a sealed system issue.

If it is only 25 in the freezer with the above symptoms, you have leaked refrigerant and it's probably time to start fridge shopping...

On 2/23/2017 at 0:00 PM, Tim25 said:

the freezer would be 25 at top and -25 at bottom

Are you sure about these temp readings-? 

If the freezer can attain a temp of -25, but is not keeping the fridge temp, there has to be a blockage or a malfunctioning damper.

Did you look in the airways, or did you feel for air flow with your hand?

You will need to remove control assembly from the top of the refrigerator and look thru the hole into the freezer and see what is blocking the air flow. You may have to go in thru the back of the freezer if you cannot find the blockage but if the fan is turning as long as you installed the right fan that turns the right direction. There is a return air on the bottom that needs to be clear also. Part number: 5303918549

Part number: 5303918549

That is the fan that is supposed to be in that unit. If you install a wrong fan that turns the opposite direction it will cause the air flow to reverse and the cold air would enter the refrigerator via the return air and cause colder temps on bottom and warmer temps on top.

If you look at this web site and read some of the comments is that the fan stops and starts as in your original post.Just letting you know as you stated it varies in speed and it maybe even stopping.:mellow: