Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag Bravos MVWB300WQ2

beagle

Hello again from a very appreciative Grasshopper!  I am so happy this site is still available for me.  You have all helped me so very much through the years!!

My current issue is with my Maytag Bravos washer (MVWB300WQ2).  Over a year ago this washer was showing the Ld code with each load.  I disconnected the drain hose and removed several bobby pins and a mass of threads from the drain (filter?).  That was quite the "fishing trip" using needle nose pliers.  But, it cleared up the issue for many months!

Now, the washer shows the code again.  Haven't yet attempted to look underneath again for two reasons: 1, sometimes moving the tub vigorously is enough that the cycle will continue; 2, changing the dial to the 'drain and spin' setting and it immediately drains.  I figure that if the drain were clogged again, the drain setting would not immediately work as it does.  

I am very puzzled by this washer's actions and would be very thankful for your assistance in making this washer once again a reliable family asset. :)

I thank you in advance for your assistance!

Beagle  (Becky)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• beagle

• Hiroshi

• 16345Ed

• nickcanfixit

Definitely check the pump again, whoever has the hair accessories in their pockets before washing probably still does... and while you are in the pump, turn the impeller blade with your finger- it should give some resistance, then turn 90 degrees of it's own accord, as if it is working against a magnet (because it is)... if the objects from before damaged the impeller you may only now be experiencing the effects of the damage. This pump doesn't have a filter per se, but a low spot in the washtub that is meant to catch objects- the "vigorously moving" the tub affecting the problem may be a clue that an object or garment is positioned above the drain opening and causing the longer drain time or it could be moving something in the pump impeller housing around allowing it to move spin and pump more freely. 

If the drain hose empties into a stack pipe, I pull it out and visually watch the water drain to make sure the water-flow is forceful and consistent... 

Edited by Hiroshi

Thank you Hiroshi.  The bobby pin user is away at college for her second year.  But, there may have been more already in the washer that are just now in a bad place.  Yes, the low place was where I encountered an asterisk shaped opening above the hose attachment.  I remember spinning the impeller before but had no idea about the magnet control.  Though it does make sense.  One question as I begin moving everything to get to the washer.  If the drain were blocked or the pump damaged, why would changing the washer setting cause it to immediately drain?

Again, thank you so much!

Beagle

The wash cycles are timed in "increments," so if the drain pump runs too long during a normal wash cycle, the control picks-up on that difference. A "drain only" cycle or switching the wash cycle, or also initiating the drain pump in diagnostics, will reset and/or remove the time requirement the control is "looking" for.

If there is absolutely no impediment to water flow, and the pump is perfect, this would point at a failing control if it consistently shows "Ld" when it should not... 

• 6 months later...

Wow!  So many days have gone by and we are still "living" with this washer's issue.  

We've stopped with the shaking the tub and other such crazy attempts.  It does not always stop a cycle with the Ld code, but when it does, it always shows 12 minutes left in the cycle.

We can sometimes restart the cycle by touching the power, then the start buttons.  

Such a finicky machine!  I guess I don't want to find out that it is the control module.  Way too much moola!  :rolleyes:

Beagle

• 11 months later...

Okay.  So, life has gotten in the way of my desire to repair this machine.  But, I'm back and need to get this problem diagnosed.

Anyone still available?

Hello. You never said you replaced the drain pump. That would be my next step given the information you have provided. I have changed lots of drain pumps where you could get it to drain by sloshing the water. And most of the owners were describing possessed machines as you are. Don't overthink it, the pump change won't be too bad on you back or pocketbook. 

Hi Nick.  I'm sorry for the delay in my reply.  I did not anticipate my husband having the machine in pieces when I got home. 

We have not replaced the drain pump.  The pump drains the tub with significant force...when it does run.

That is the problem.  As an example, the "normal" cycle will run great until the 12 minute mark.  Then it stops and codes "LD".  

Long ago, we would let it sit for a while then press "power" (it would show "12") and then "start" and it would finish the cycle.  Over time, it has stopped with and "SD" code  and also anywhere between 24 and 30 minutes remaining in the cycle.  Sometimes unplugging for a while would allow us to change to the "drain and spin" setting to finish the cycle.  Now, it can take an entire day of fiddling with it to finish a load. 

With the washer apart, I could not follow instructions for determining this crazy machine's problem, so I tried going with the suggestion on the RepairClinic.com link.  We received and replaced the valve unit today.  Hoping against hope this was the problem and we could call it done.  Nope.  Still LD at 12 minutes.  

Someone please help. 

Hello again Samurai Masters,

Please guide me in testing this washer.  Is my drain pump spastic?  Or do I have a failing control module?  I have a multi-meter and am good with going all the way to component level to help diagnose the issue if needed.  

Thank you all in advance.  ? 

Idk, sounds like either too much suds, clogged pressure hose or dome, bad pump or main control. 

My advice after over a year of messing around , first post was February of 2017, is call a professional technician. 

Hello Ed, 

Thank you for your reply.  We will be replacing the drain pump as soon as the new one arrives.  Fingers crossed we do not need to spend more on this appliance.

Over the last year we have been living around this washer's issue.  Because in order to do anything about testing or examining parts, we have to remove the dryer and pull the washer out from the back corner of the room (cannot have a front load washer as the water heater is right in front of the washer).  As I mentioned in an earlier message, life got in the way and demoted this issue to a back burner.  But, now this washer is front and center!  We are true DIYers, so will be continuing to do this ourselves.  I have repaired many appliances over the years with the wonderful guidance from great Appliantologists on this site.  ?

In my research I read that a new control board would require setup steps.  If this thing gets to that point, would you have a recommendation of how to locate this information?

Thank you so much for your time.

Beagle (Becky)

1 hour ago, beagle said:

Hello Ed, 

Thank you for your reply.  We will be replacing the drain pump as soon as the new one arrives.  Fingers crossed we do not need to spend more on this appliance.

Over the last year we have been living around this washer's issue.  Because in order to do anything about testing or examining parts, we have to remove the dryer and pull the washer out from the back corner of the room (cannot have a front load washer as the water heater is right in front of the washer).  As I mentioned in an earlier message, life got in the way and demoted this issue to a back burner.  But, now this washer is front and center!  We are true DIYers, so will be continuing to do this ourselves.  I have repaired many appliances over the years with the wonderful guidance from great Appliantologists on this site.  ?

In my research I read that a new control board would require setup steps.  If this thing gets to that point, would you have a recommendation of how to locate this information?

Thank you so much for your time.

Beagle (Becky)

I believe those instructions are included with the main control. 

• 2 weeks later...

****UPDATE****

The washer is repaired!!  The drain pump was definitely the problem.

A huge THANK YOU to all of the wonderful techs who offer their advice on this site!  You all are so awesome.

Bless you all!

Beagle