Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

sub zero 601r evap coil icing top left, won't get cold

joshcapecod

joshcapecod

Hi,

Okay here goes...had an Error Code 50, cleared the code out, would come back in a day or so. Fridge was holding 39 degrees. I cleaned the condenser coils bu they were fine no dust. Same story EC50 comes back. Since I have a spare fridge,moved all food over. Was for a rental and its sitting there all empty so thats good pressure off from the Missus. Then I replaced the condenser fan motor, with an OEM motor ordered from SZ certified appliance store Fridge would not get below 46-47, set at 38, just sat there 46. Removed shelves, diffuser light, removed the back panel. I see ice only in the top left where the copper line enters the evap coil. Its a black evap coils, no hint of copper in the actual coils all blaack (i read somewhere maybe older evap copper coils were a problem on SZ).

When door open and I press 2 switches, the evap fan works.I gently knocked the ice off upper corner of evap coil and am trying to lower temp slowly (set at 45, wait, then try set 40, wait,etc).

Thoughts?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joshcapecod

• Hiroshi

• abaesemann

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is ball of ice on the copper just coming into freezer and no frost on coils, then it is a sealed system problem, low on refrigerant

joshcapecod

thanks! here is a photo. No need for a new evap then?  Sounds like I can just get a re-charge :). good news.

IMG_0457_1.jpg

You can get it re-charged, but if the charge leaks out in a year or less, you will likely need a new evaporator.

Sub-Zero has a 13 year warranty on their evaporators and don't be afraid to call them, they are helpful and never run from a warranty! Have the serial number ready...