LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Goodman Heat Pump no low side pressure new install

dfphoto

Hi group, wondering if anyone can assist me. I have a condo and last week purchased a Goodman GSZ140241 - ARUF25B14 split system.

2 ton, the hired techs have it working but had two issues, A. The Low Pressure valve is not producing any pressure. B. the unit had no 410 and required 5.5lbs.

The Low Pressure valve seemed to be screwed in a lot more than a normal car tire meaning about 2 threads and the tech was really surprised to have no pressure. He used digital gauges and had never experienced this before, another Goodman nearby albeit and older about 2012 unit showed about 20lbs. Can anyone offer suggestions on what I should do next, or am I making an issue out of nothing.

Thanks

IMG_4486 copy.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dfphoto

• abaesemann

• alamo1718

• spencertech

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That condenser, the outdoor portion, comes with 410a precharged for 15 feet of linset. When it left the manufacturer, it was supposed to have 410a in the outdoor unit. If it had none when installed, it leaked out. Moisture or some other contaminate may have gotten in and there is a chance of  internal damage. Find the serial number, google goodman tech support and call them to find out what they know about the unit.

If the linset length is longer than 15 feet, there may have been the manufacturer charge and the tech needed to add on top of that charge to make the amount of refrigerant correct. 

The gauge set that the tech was using may have not been functioning properly. Its also possible that the valve cores, the little piece in the schrader, is damaged. 

20psi on 410a is too low. If the one that showed 20psi is "working" I would suspect an issue with the technicians gauges or hoses.

The paint should not be scraped off around the third schrader port. To me it indicates the panel was removed, not something that usually needs to be done to install a new unit. 

Hi I was under the impression it had a charge as well, but I wasn't watching the techs work. He had a digital gauge set and the high pressure was stable at 105-130 during the cycle.

The line set is definitely longer than 15 it's 30-40 to the entrance of the roof and then down 3 stories (location of the coil across the roof then down). He said the manual stated 5.5lbs of 410 and that's what he added but, he was here last week and emptied (not sure what you call that) because he was not familiar with the piston size vs TXV which is what he was used to. 

"The gauge set that the tech was using may have not been functioning properly. Its also possible that the valve cores, the little piece in the schrader, is damaged." I'm not sure if his gauges could have been damaged or not but, it seemed like they were working, the 20lb comment was normal as per the manual "20lb open to 50lb closed" on the low pressure side 105-130 on high.

"The paint should not be scraped off around the third schrader port. To me it indicates the panel was removed, not something that usually needs to be done to install a new unit." I saw that in the picture as well, should I ask the tech about it? My friend's brother is an HVAC and he said it didn't matter if the port showed a reading or not since the point is it is not leaking (thus no reading) and the low and high are still working together meaning the high port is within range and the low is not leaking.

To me it's a little frustrating on top of that, Goodman won't help me, and I'm not 100% sure the tech will spend extra time to call tech support for a job he feels is done.. But I will ask him again.

Long story, it seems my friend's brother and the tech both feel the system is holding pressure, and working and not to mess with it... IDK..

spencertech

It sounds like the gauge hose is not pushing the shrader core. Screw out the core a few turns and put the hose back on and see if you have pressure.If so Change the core.

Hi spencertech, that's what the tech thought, but he tried to unscrew it and it would not budge, I'm not sure if it is due to his tool (screw driver like) and he couldn't get enough pressure on it. Or it's cross threaded by a machine and really in there. I can't replace it without refilling which would cost a lot I'm assuming. Do you think I should buy a schrader removal tool and get it out???

Be sure to register your warranty. Its 5 years unless you register the warranty, then its extended to 10. Don't trust the installer to send it in, do it yourself. You can find the form online. Ask the installer about what kind and length of warranty he offers on labor and/or parts, independent of the goodman warranty.

I wouldn't mess with the core removal tool yourself. On a 70 degree day, with the ac just sitting there not running, 410a is pressurized to 200 psi. If it leaks out it comes out at about -50 degrees. 

The unit is shipped with 92 ounces of 410a. If it's 3 stories and 40 feet across to the indoor unit it needs about 3.3 additional pounds.  The final charge is adjusted after it's running for 15 minutes, by superheat with a piston and sub cool with a TXV.  The charge might be fine. The real test comes when it's hot outside. 

I would suggest a written record. Get any install notes and pressures, temperatures, invoices that you can and keep them. Maybe the installer will note on the invoice the challenge with getting good readings. 

My only other thought is that the two schrader ports are what any tech will use to diagnose refrigerant issues. If they aren't working right, the unit will probably cool and heat but will be a PIA to service or fix in the future. The installer should be able to use the tool abaesemann suggested to change the cores, with out loosing the charge.  If worse comes to worse, he can remove the charge with a recovery machine, fix the valves and put your 410a back in. 

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, my computer is screwed up so I am on a mission to fix it and I am stressed out... I will order that tool, I have the company sending a replacement valve at least I requested it. Just in case, but I will try that tool you recommended via amaz... It has to be the valve core. I did watch the tech try to push the valve stem in and nothing happened but I forgot ask if the center depressed or not, but I think it did not. I'm going up there tomorrow to add some straps so I will try the valve myself. I can't believe a 2.00 part is causing so much abuse to me... at least mentally... Thanks I will check back tomorrow...

2 hours ago, dfphoto said:

I can't believe a 2.00 part is causing so much abuse to me

They can break very easily and if it does not press in then it is broken or screwed too far inn. I carry an old film canister full of them.

Edited by abaesemann
add