LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Washer does not agitate Whirpool LSW9750PW3

john m

Hello, have noticed that my whirpool washer does not agitate during the wash cycle. It sounds like the motor is spinning but if you lift the cover, you can see the center post agitator is barely moving. Have also noticed that on each spin cycle ( to evacuate water and rise cloths ) the tub does not spin. On this symptom, after opening and closing the door, it sound like a relay or contact engages as the tub will spin after the cover closes. Help?

thanks in advance,

John

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• john m

• 16345Ed

• Budget Appliance Repair

• Hiroshi

Correct and I do believe that I have 2 different issues.

re Agitator not working, do you believe that above part is likely the culprit? (its a tight space and if I open the back, I intend to have the parts first.....)

re the second issue, yes it definitely stops with the door open. I find that when in the 'water evacuation/SPIN rinse cycle' the washer 'sounds' like its spinning but only engages the cycle after the cover opens and is closed. By the way, when in the spin cycle and the tub is not spinning, the cycle still drains the water. Its just that the tub will not spin unless the above occurs.

Thanks again,

john

And you DON'T go in from the back on this model - the cabinet comes off and all is done from the front.

Do some YouTube searches and educate yourself on how to remove the cabinet before you start removing all the screws on the back and have everything falling apart and a lot more work for yourself.

Thank you 16345Ed      ,

As I said, I do have 2 issues with the washer. The agitation issue was fixed with new agitator dog ears ( the old ones were worn smooth).

After installation and test run, I still have the 2nd issue with the spin cycle not engaging the tub. It sounds like its spinning but is not. Only after opening and closing the cover does the tub start to spin. Based on this, do you still feel its the motor coupling?

thanks,

john

4 hours ago, john m said:

Thank you 16345Ed      ,

As I said, I do have 2 issues with the washer. The agitation issue was fixed with new agitator dog ears ( the old ones were worn smooth).

After installation and test run, I still have the 2nd issue with the spin cycle not engaging the tub. It sounds like its spinning but is not. Only after opening and closing the cover does the tub start to spin. Based on this, do you still feel its the motor coupling?

thanks,

john

It almost sounds like lid switch works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Which I have seen before.

If it agitates the motor coupling should be ok. 

Sounds to me like what is being described is when the timer isn't pausing after the 2 minute drain cycle to release the neutral latch in the transmission.  Opening the lid when the motor is running and pump is draining water out but tub isn't spinning simulates the pause that the timer should do after the 2 minute drain period at the beginning of each spin cycle.

Be sure you aren't just being impatient when watching it.  Put it into a 10 minute wash cycle and let it agitate and go into drain and spin cycle on it's own, (the 10 minutes running is to make sure the transmission oil is warmed up).

As soon as it goes into the drain cycle just before it should be spinning, time it with a watch.  After 2 minutes wait  another minute just to make sure and if still running but not spinning open the lid and close it.  If it starts spinning you can be confident that the timer needs replaced because there is a set of points welded together so that when it hits that short pause area the motor just keeps running so it can't release the neutral latch and never spins if left to itself.

I have had some fun times trying to explain to a customer that their "pause is broken."

Watch it cycle with no interference and it should pause on it's own, at which point you will hear the solid "clunk" of it shifting into spin from "neutral drain."

On 3/12/2017 at 7:09 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

Be sure you aren't just being impatient when watching it.

100% good advice.

Part number: WP8557301

Part number: WP8557301