Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Philosophical Defrost timer question

Haywood

I have installed a Supco 120 solid state defrost timer with adjustable frequency and duration, I'd like some feedback on length of cycle vs frequency.

Right now it is set to 4 hours with 10 minutes of duration (= 60 minutes of defrost time per day) 6 hours at 15 minutes would be the same amount of defrost time, but I suspect it goes deeper than that. So which bias is more important, frequency or duration?. That likely runs deeper than that as well, hence the title philosophical discussion.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haywood

• Hiroshi

• abaesemann

Top Posters In This Topic

What came out of the fridge that this was put into?

Maybe a model number of fridge could help.

I was hoping for a bit more general, but the fridge is a pre 1994 GE Monogram ZIS & the previous timer was an 8 hour X 15 minute motor driven one, the stock one is 16 hr 35 min IIRC.

Why I ask is that is where I would start with settings, Now if there was issues with those settings then adjusting accordingly based on your problems you may be having. So if there was not enough time for water to drain and it was freezing then keep duration and then change length.

I installed the factory bandaid kit,GE WR49X10021 and while it improved defrost drastically, I could tell the glacier was gaining on me. the new timer is no doubt also a bandaid, but this time it seems I'm winning. I planed to experiment with it a bit, and settle on the least frequent, shortest duration that will get the job done & was curious what the thinking was as to the most efficient use of the available settings.

8-10 hour frequency with 20-25 minutes of defrost time is the norm with mechanical defrost timers... Adaptive defrost software in newer models uses door openings as an input in when they "decide" to run a defrost cycle + cumulative compressor run-time, but they still usually have a 20-25 minute duration.

Thank you, That's the sort of thing I was curious about. I'll set it for that (8-25) next time I climb up there, and maybe just leave it there. That is unless the glacier starts to form again. The adaptive route seems a logical evolution, I can see how they came to that. It almost aught to include a weather station, as I've noticed a sudden weather change would throw mine into a freeze up. That was before the improvements, early days, but hopefully it will be forgettable.

Humidity is definitely a factor- the door opening statistics it gathers are, essentially, to address the humid air that fills the compartment whenever you open the door, and the fact if you open the door more often, you let more moisture in and it has to be eliminated through the defrost drain. The duration is so important because if the drain is frozen over by the cooling cycle kicking back in before the pan and tube is completely drained, it results in a "glacier." Every single model of refrigerator or freezer ( or AC for that matter) has to deal with this eventuality in one way or another...