LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Hotpoint HTM17BBSERSA - Noise from evaporator fan motor

cthacker

Before a month ago, I knew absolutely nothing about refrigerators. Thanks to the internet I know a little more today.

I have a 10 year old Hotpoint HTM17BBSERSA refrigerator. It came with a new home I just moved into a month ago. A few days after I moved in I noticed that it seemed a little noisy but it still sounded like it was operating correctly. A week later the noise seemed to get louder.  I deduced that it was the evaporator fan so I ordered a new one with a new fan and 1 grommet.

The day after I ordered the new parts, and before they arrived, the fridge started operating at a quieter noise level. I'd describe the difference as maybe 5 decibels, so not a huge difference but enough to notice, and it has a slight rattle/rumble sound to it when it's at the louder point.

I left it alone to see if it resolved itself. Unfortunately, it got louder a couple days later so I dove in to replace the motor and fan. (The grommet looked fine so I left it alone. The fan looked fine too but I figured I'd put in the new one.)

It still seemed to be loud so I left it for another night when I had more time and could think about it some more.

Today I dove in again and it took it apart while evaluating everything I could think of as I went in. As like before, the fan spun freely and didn't seem to be touching anything. Using a screwdriver and putting a little bit of pressure on the side of the motor did quiet it a little by reducing the slight rattle/rumble sound.

I decided to see what I could do to stabilize the motor. I found a bunch of rubber bands and wrapped them around the motor. This seems to have helped a little. Does anyone see this being a problem? The only thing I can think of is if the motor gets warm and would start to melt them but considering it's in a freezer and that the grommet is rubber too I don't think this is a problem)  Does anyone have any other ideas?

Also, separate issue, I noticed that there is a plastic part bellow the fan, where the styrofoam piece goes in for the hole down to the refrigerator cabinet, that looks like it was burnt or melted at some point. Maybe it came this way but I thought I would mention it to make sure.

I'll attach photos of both items to help show what I'm talking about. Thanks everyone!

evaporatorfanmotor1.JPG

evaporatorfanmotor2.JPG

hotpointplastic.JPG

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cthacker

• Hiroshi

• certified tech group 51

• TurtleRock

First please remove the rubber bands this is not really going to help the issue you are having. Next from what I can see from your pic. The fan motor is off center which is causing the motor to vibrate or rub on the evaporate cover. Next if you already have the grommets replace them but when you reassemble apply little squeeze pressure to the bracket to make the fan motor is nice and tight inside the bracket and hopefully this will solve your problem.

27 minutes ago, TurtleRock said:

First please remove the rubber bands this is not really going to help the issue you are having. Next from what I can see from your pic. The fan motor is off center which is causing the motor to vibrate or rub on the evaporate cover. Next if you already have the grommets replace them but when you reassemble apply little squeeze pressure to the bracket to make the fan motor is nice and tight inside the bracket and hopefully this will solve your problem.

The fan isn't rubbing on anything once installed, either with the rubber bands or not. I tested spinning it manually both ways and it spins freely.

The spindle is off center in the photo but that's because of the pull of the rubber bands. I adjusted them a bit before installing it, so it's a bit straighter now versus what you see in the photo.

So having said that, the only other thing I think worth testing is removing the rubber bands and squeezing both grommets inward to grasp the motor.

It does seem a bit quieter at the moment, with the rubber bands, so it seems to have helped. What is the harm in leaving them on?  Will the motor get hot? Increased electricity usage, inefficiency?

The offset of the shaft looks like the bearing is toast to me too, the grommets do not and should not contact the shaft.- replace that junky fan. The inner magnets will generally hold it centered when it isn't moving, but those are particularly failure prone.

Part number: WR60X23584

20 minutes ago, Hiroshi said:

The offset of the shaft looks like the bearing is toast to me too, the grommets do not and should not contact the shaft.- replace that junky fan. The inner magnets will generally hold it centered when it isn't moving, but those are particularly failure prone.

The offset of the shaft is from the rubber bands, which I adjusted. The "junky fan" is new. I mentioned all of that.

I've seen conflicting reports as to which motor is the correct one. The one in my picture or the one you linked to. There is even a parts/repair site how-to video that shows them removing one that looks like the one you linked to and installed the one I have in the photo. I suspect both will work.

In your first picture , you are missing a fastener on the left side ......Did that  fastener get installed????.... the motor is pinched  between the brackets.......The grommets support the motor plus stops any vibration......the melting of the plastic is  rare to common for its age, the defrost heater creates a bit of heat........The defrost terminator ( P/N wr50x10021 )  could  be opening at  a higher temp then when it was new........P.S..The motor P/N is wr60x10138,  is now P/N wr60x23584. .

Edited by certified tech group 51

On 3/17/2017 at 7:10 PM, certified tech group 51 said:

In your first picture , you are missing a fastener on the left side ......Did that  fastener get installed????

the missing fastener is from unhooking the ground wire. it was reattached when I put it back in.  I'm going to try the other motor and see how that helps. otherwise my rubber band fix seems to have helped over the last few days.

I replaced motor WR60X10141 with WR60X23584 even though WR60X10141 is what came installed stock with the fridge. WR60X23584 is running smoother and is less noticeable than WR60X10141.  The rubber band hack worked and was fine but I was more curious if WR60X23584 would improve it even more and so far after a couple days it seems to be the better choice.