Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Inglis Refrigerator IKT162300 warm and clicking intermittently

ciwa

Hello,

I have an Inglis IKT162300 refrigerator that is warm and clicks intermittently. I went to the back and can confirm the clicking is coming from there and the compressor is not running. The fan is running, but no cold air coming out.  

From my reading and research, it seems that the issue is with the relay. Haven't been able to pull it off yet - as it seems to be under a cover - to perform the "shake test".  

Anyway, my questions is to know first if you would agree with my conclusion and second if I can install something like this http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pro-3-in-1-tj90urco810-ap4503417.html or if I should stick with original parts?

thanks!

Walter

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AccApp

• ciwa

Top Posters In This Topic

First get that start device off and see what type it is. Some don't need a "shake" test. If it's a ptc  type give it a shake (not really a definitive test) and see if it rattles. Then check the windings on the compressor for resistance. The terminals are arranged in a triangle, the terminal on the top or bottom by itself is the common terminal. Measure between the common and each other terminal then measure between the two others. The first two measurements should add up to the final result. Also check between each terminal and ground, if any measureable resistance with a normal meter it is shorted to ground and junk.

If the windings check out to be okay you can rig up a test cord, put a neutral to the common and have 2 switches to apply power to each other. Turn both switches on then when the compressor starts turn off power to the start winding and measure the current draw in amps with a clamp type meter after about a minute of running. If it's around .8-2.0 amps your compressor is ok and you can feel free to use either the open start device or a universal type of any kind.

Thanks for the quick response and complete info. Thanks also for the link to the compressor diagnosis.

I did manage to pull it off and it's shaking like crazy with little pieces coming out when I shake it, so it's definitely fried.

Will get that changed out asap!

Walter