Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Ice maker 6626662 Kenmore - problem with dispensing ice

mke

I have a 106 Kenmore coldspot frigde and my ice maker seems to be working fine except in that at the end of the cycle it has a problem with dispensing ice like the heating element did not work. I check contact in the back of the module and all looks fine in very good condition.  I check the voltage of what seems to be responsible for that function mold heater and it showed sth close to 70ohms which I think is correct. Ice maker is in good condition but Ice get stuck, what could be the problem? How can I verify what is my problem?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• Hiroshi

• darren412

• 16345Ed

... so flip the "feeler arm" upwards into the OFF position. Remove the front cover of the icemaker, usually a white, plastic, square cover. Lower right of the white circular main drive gear will be two holes in the tan power module- one is labeled "T" and one is labeled with an "H." Strip 1/2 inch two ends of a 3 to 4 inch wire to use as a "jumper." Insert the jumper wire into the holes labeled T and H, then flip the feeler arm back down into the ON position- the main drive gear will begin to advance. Listen very carefully for a "click" approximately ten seconds into the motion of the drive gear, after the "click," you can remove the jumper wire and the icemaker will proceed through the harvest you have just initiated.

As the "fingers" of the harvest rake are approaching the ice, the mold heater should be ON- you can put your hand near it to feel for warmth, but be careful as it can burn you too.

If the heater gets warm, but the ice still sticks in the mold- remove the icemaker and inspect the mold empty to see if the teflon coating has flaked off...

The cheapest new icemaker unit is usually sold under part # W10190965, don"t throw away the old unit as you will need some of the plastic parts and the feeler arm from the old unit to transfer to the new one.

Here is the update, as the "fingers" of the harvest rake are approaching the ice at the beginning I did not noticed that heating element was warm, fingers got stock so I lift up the arm into OFF to save motor. Today i came back and lower the arm to turn it on and notice that the wheel was at the posion around 9 o'clock and I felt hot heater element underneath for about 5-10 seconds but that just helped to move not more that 1hour in terms of position (10 o'clock) still stuck with ice basically in the same position.  I checked teflon before and it looked in very good condition.

I lifted arm back up and started removing screws and I heard that noise like little short(not like a short but kind of very gentle buzz), lowered arm and the cycle got completed with ice out.  I dont understand

The ice will not release instantly as it takes a bit for the heater to warm the mold, put a layer of water between the mold and the cubes, and release the ice (thusly, why they call it heat release). If the heater is not staying energized long enough, but has the continuity to get hot- then, you could need a new "power module." Sometimes, the main drive gear pins/clips break (there should be 2 holding it on in the center) and it messes with the cycle and causes intermittency...

I have found  in the past with working on these whirlpool ice makers that the heating element contact ends where they plug into the module at times will fail after a while and then make an intermittent contact at times or just burn right out at the element contact pins. I would inspect the ice maker module and make sure you have no arced out areas at the contact points that have created hot spots and are most likely causing an intermittent issue with the ice making process.  Something to think about if you haven't already.

Yep, you have broken pins on that drive gear- in the third picture there should be two barbed white plastic pin/clips to hold the center of that drive gear... usually someone throws beer or something in the ice bin and traps the feeler arm... as it tries to rise during a harvest the obstruction causes the drive gear to break the mounts.

Icemaker Module - Part # 1469018 Mfg Part # W10190935see how there are two visible sides to the drive gear mount?

Part number: W10190965

Part number: W10190965 is usually cheaper than just the power module by itself

11 hours ago, mke said:

You could but dig around amazon. Probably find the whole ice maker for similar price. 

Yes, but I would get the whole assembly, the next problem you will likely have is going to be the teflon coating fail- so you will have a new ice mold ready to go!