Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Thermador CIT36XKB Induction Cooktop System Failure Error

Farkus1982

Model CiT 36 XKB / 01 has been giving System Failure error code Ci9 ADB L. There is no guidance in the user manual or from any web search that I can find. The suggested power off seems to work every now and again and not for long. Guessing I need a new circuit board, but looking for the service manual and/or confirmation on which board needs replacing. I am pretty handy and have replaced fridge/furnace/receiver boards in the past. Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Farkus1982

• 16345Ed

• Rick22

• Electeician

31 minutes ago, Farkus1982 said:

Failure error code Ci9 ADB L.

This is not a Fault Code 

F0

FOP

C1

C2

C3

F8

those are examples of fault codes for this unit. 

7 hours ago, Farkus1982 said:

I've come across the "C" and "F" codes online, but do still believe the "Ci9 ADB L" is a fault code of some sort. Here is a link to a picture showing the error: https://goo.gl/photos/oSYbWFTn6MBj4rTT9

I've reviewed service manual, nothing near that is referenced. 

Looks more like a software version than an error code...

Sounds like calling Thermador for a service visit is my best bet, but if the service manual doesn't mention this code, I don't know how they can troubleshoot it. 

7 hours ago, Farkus1982 said:

Sounds like calling Thermador for a service visit is my best bet, but if the service manual doesn't mention this code, I don't know how they can troubleshoot it. 

Yep, that is your best bet. 

There may be a service bulletin issued that I'm unaware of. 

These cooktops have a bunch of small induction modules that adjust their function according to the shape and size of the pot you are using- 

Not sure what Ci9 means, but ADB L would likely be referring to "adaption board Left" and pointing to some problem with it.

These units do have some software updates and had some redesigned capacitors added for more durability, but the moral of the story is still that you are going to want Thermador in on this due to the appliance's ridiculously complicated nature.

After contacting Thermador and sending a the picture of the error to the tech, he said it was a bad controller board, the left one to be specific. The repair is $850 all told and we are still deciding whether to do it. We picked up the unit for $1600 so $850 is a lot to spend.

Just letting everyone know in case you come across it. Would also be interested in thoughts on the repair. We are open to a new unit (gas or induction), but it has to drop into the same opening. 

• 1 year later...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I am facing the same problem with my freedom induction cooktop. Any help about what parts to buy?

Thanks!

Ed

Bad controller board as mentioned above. $850 for something that MAY work. It went up on R and L for us so we didn't want to pay $1700 for a maybe fix. Got a new unit and won't be buying Thermador anytime soon. 

• 9 months later...

We spent $1800 on this cooktop and 5 hrs later the board goes and they want $900 to repair it. This should be covered by the company but it's not. Big mistake buying this product. Very disappointing. Stay AWAY! 

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem today, any lucks try to get the glicth going away, it's happenned to me before and turn off the power and back on it work just find but today no luck. Is there anyone know where I can go from here?

• 1 month later...

Did you ever solve this problem with the cooktop?  I have had this issue since day one and it has never been fixed. I never know how long it will take till I might be able to use it again. I’m afraid to call a repair person because I am afraid that they will charge a lot and not be able to fix it. I would feel better if I could tell them what’s wrong. I’ve had numerous electricians look and have no idea. 

• 1 month later...

Bought my cooktop in 2016. Have had this failure problem for two years. Had authorized  repairman and he could not identify cause. Most trouble occurs with larger pot on high heat setting- unit just shuts itself off. Very aggravating. Mine cost $5000.would love a fix.

• 4 months later...

I have had mine for 6 years, paid $6000 for it and I Just spend $2900 fixing it a month ago I was getting the Ci9 ADL and ADR error code, so I change the left and ridge adaptor board and left and right control board. It worked for a few days now I am getting a C8 error code. I am ready to cut my losses.