Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

LG Top Load Washer WT4801CW won't agitate but fills, spins and drains

joshd

This LG washing machine was purchased new circa December 2010. For about a year or so, it has made a squeaking noise whilst load-sensing or during the agitate portion of the cycle, but has always been quiet during the spin cycle. We we're washing over the weekend, and it started to make a much louder squeaking combined with a grinding sound during the wash cycle. I thought it was due to a large load of blankets, and thought nothing of it. Yesterday, ran another load, much smaller. Still squeaking, and grinding sound during wash became obnoxiously loud. Looked at the tub, and noticed it was not moving during the wash, other then perhaps an inch back and forth. Direct drive motor sounded the same as it always has, but loud grinding and lack of tub movement continued for entire wash portion of cycle. Machine moved on to spin cycle, and tub spun clockwise for wash drain, and then filled up for rinse, and spun properly (including high speed) for remainder of rinse and spin cycle. Clothes came out smelling ok and no wetter then they ever have been in the past. No grinding or squeaking during rinse or spin cycles. No errors reported on control panel. No funny smells. Tub can now be rotated by hand in either direction, and I recall it being fixed in place and unable to rotate by hand in the past.

Based on these symptoms and my limited research, I think I need to replace the clutch and transmission (drive shaft and shifter, perhaps?) assembly (P/N AEN73131403). I haven't done any other diagnostics and would very much like an opinion from folks in the know before I shotgun parts at this machine. 

Many thanks in advance.

Josh

The Pulsator (agitator) should be removed...to inspect for debris underneath (dimes etc).

If all looks good...will likely need that Clutch/Housing Assy.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the reply. When I investigated, I found the pulsator screw had backed out, and it (pulsator) was just resting in the tub. There was lots of gunk built up underneath, and lots of bearing grease. Based on the grease, I figured the clutch/housing was shot, and I replaced it. After putting everything back together, I find that the machine is nice and quiet now, but, the pulsator does not move when driven. I can hear the stator energizing and driving the assembly, but the pulsator just moves a half and inch or so in either direction. I set the machine on a tub clean cycle, and while the pulsator was being driven, it popped off and floated up in the tub. I put it back in and drove the screw down as tight as I could. I left the cap off the pulsator and watched for a while, and when the machine decided to drive the pulsator, I could see the screw rotating back and forth, but it would not grab and engage the pulsator itself. I'll see how it washes, but I think I may need to replace the screw or the pulsator assembly itself as well. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated, and previous advice is much appreciated as well.

Josh

It seemed odd to me. I'm wondering if vibration from the failed clutch (which was probably bad for upwards of a year before it finally gave out) damaged the threads on the screw, the lock washer, or the machining on the screw that engages the lock washer. The tub wash cycle just finished, and I spun the pulsator by hand. Whilst rotating counter-clockwise, the screw loosened and the pulsator began to wobble. I tightened the screw down even more (using a ratchet and socket), and I have a small load in now to see what happens. 

I'll try the threadlocker and see what happens. Next I'll replace the bolt. The pulsator itself does not appear damaged in any way, and it doesn't seem like the pulsator has any machining that engages with the clutch assembly that could have been damaged.

Thanks again.

Josh

The Pulsator spline is okay?

Not stripped? (especially the lower half of the spline)

Thank you for mentioning that. Upon investigation, the spline on the pulsator has been worn away to oblivion. There are some faint marks left where the spline used to be, but it is almost perfectly smooth now. That is why I commented that the pulsator didn't have any splining that engaged with the clutch.

I wonder if the pulsator was bad from the beginning and it vibrated enough to not only wear out the spline but destroy the bearings in the clutch as well. The spline on the drive shaft from the clutch on the old assembly looked intact, but I didn't investigate it closely after removal. I see a new pulsator in my future.

And, while checking for screws for the pulsator, I see that they do in fact ship with threadlocker applied. I'll just order a new screw as well and hopefully be done with it.

Thank you again for all the assistance.

Thanks again John! $130 in parts beats $650 for a new washer. Wife will be happy we'll have clean clothes again. When the kids notice they're running low then it means trouble lol.

Josh

• 11 months later...

I have a LG top loader that will not agitate, I removed the wash plate,do I need line up the splines on the wash plate to have the agitator to work properly.

6 hours ago, ptrz21 said:

I have a LG top loader that will not agitate, I removed the wash plate,do I need line up the splines on the wash plate to have the agitator to work properly.

The wash plate has to ride on the splines or it will not work. If you can move the wash plate around then it is probably stripped out and needs to be replaced.

• Like 1