Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Dryer Timer repeated failure

dwgwater

GE gas dryer, GTDP490GD0WS. The original timer lasted about 3 1/2 years before the shaft wouldn't rotate easily and the knob split. I replaced the timer, WE4M527, but the replacement developed the same symptoms after about 8 months. I'm now on my third timer and wondering if there is something else that is causing the shaft to start binding. I've taken the two old ones apart and can't see anything wrong. I tried spraying some electronics Fader Lube into the workings, but no change when reassembled. Just bad luck with the second timer, or something else?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dwgwater

• Hiroshi

• Scottthewolf

• Lighthouse

Take a plastic zip-tie and cinch it tightly with pliers around the knob where it is splitting, it is much stronger than any glue... dry onwards.

Knob WE01X20380      Alternate Product View

Also make sure the customer only turns the knob clockwise.  Turning the knob counterclockwise damages the gears and the escapement.

12 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

Take a plastic zip-tie and cinch it tightly with pliers around the knob where it is splitting, it is much stronger than any glue... dry onwards.

I have used this method before in a pinch. It worked great.

I just finished up a job for a lady that had broken every switch & knob on a GE washer. She also needed a new panel because she had broken it. She had me look at her fridge that had the paddle broken on the dispenser. 2 broken drawers in the fridge & all of the buttons were exposed on the dispenser panel because they had used them so hard. She is rough & heavy handed on her appliances.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think the dryer is being abused. The timer shaft binds. I can turn it with a pliers or vise grip, but it takes a good amount of force. I can't tell where or why its binding

old cars never had power steering, just bigger steering wheels... so keeping the large timer knob on the shaft is the best way to keep this thing working... the pliers will wreck the shaft and the knob won't fit anymore.

On 4/12/2017 at 1:13 PM, Hiroshi said:

keeping the large timer knob on the shaft is the best way to keep this thing working... the pliers will wreck the shaft and the knob won't fit anymore.

Don't know if it would work in this case (looks to be larger), but this knob has a metal band re-enforcement

Part number: we01x20374

Part number: we01x20374

• 2 years later...

I have an electric GE dryer that takes this same timer. It’s 5 yrs. old and Replaced this timer twice and it just won’t turn even with Pliers now....any suggestions??? Sad girl :(. O

• 1 year later...

Supco also makes a version of this knob with the metal reinforcement ring. very low cost and exactly same as OEM. have also used the zip tie trick, is a good idea.