LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

LG LFX31925ST /03 Refrigerator Not Cold Enough

jecz

Hello All,

After finding liquid ice cream, I started to pretend that I am an appliance technician.  It hasn't gone so well for me ;-(

I have an LG LFX31925ST /03 french door refrigerator that is not cooling well.  

Here is what I have done so far....

1) Moved all contents to another fridge.

2) Covered the floor and moved the fridge out from the wall.  It was about 5 inches from the back wall.  The fan was running so I powered off the fridge.

3) Cleaned the underneath and back of the fridge including the coils.  It was a bit dusty but didn't seem unreasonable.

4) Reset power.  All of the lights seem to come on correctly and it isn't making any funny noises.  The temperature setting display on the front panel says 33 (fridge) and -1 (freezer).

5) Checked to make sure that the fan was blowing.  Seems to be fine.

6) Read the owners manual and service manual (a bit over my head!)

7) Placed a refrigerator thermometer in the fridge and another in the freezer. 

8) Visually checked the door and drawer seals which look ok.  I also don't feel any air escaping.

9) Changed the water filter and air filter (lights were blinking).

10) Waited a day.  No luck.

11) Powered off again while I waited for parts to arrive.

12) Replaced what I think is the temperature sensor.

LG ACQ73244001 Cover Assembly, Sensor

13) Waited 24+ hours after installing the new sensor.

6:49am - Fridge=40 and Freezer=9

3:30pm - Fridge=46 and Freezer=4

4:30pm - Fridge=50 and Freezer=12

Definitely not what I would expect.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jim

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jecz

• 16345Ed

• Bds90604@yahoo.com

• Richard Demint

Might be low on refrigerant. 

If temp of condenser coils not 30 degrees above room temp there's a good chance of leak in system. 

Edited by 16345Ed

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

This sounds like a major issue.  I will research the proper way to check the temperature of the condenser coils.

If the leak is confirmed, is it worth repairing the problem?  Sounds like an expensive repair.  I think the fridge is about 5 years old.

Regards,

Jim

If under warranty, I think those have 5 year warranty on system. If not probably not worth it, but you could get a quote. 

Infra temp gun pointed at condenser coils will tell the story. 

Looks like there is definitely a leak in the system.

The temp of the condenser cools is 78 degrees.  (Infra red temp gun)

The temp of the compressor is 137.  (Infra red temp gun)

The refrigerator temp is 42 degrees.  (Fridge thermometer)

The freezer temp is 6 degrees.  Fridge thermometer)

Searching for the warranty paperwork and receipt.  Hoping it is 

-Jim

Purchased 1 year warranty from LG for $450.  They sent a technician to the house this morning.

Technician did the following...

- verified amperage (0.6) on something

- checked the cleanliness of the coils

- checked all the seals, vents, etc

- ran a test from the main logic board

- checked the fans (fridge and freezer)

- verified the fridge and freezer temp and called LG

- LG agreed that the main logic board needed to be replaced (1 week)

Technician does not think there is a leak because it is still cooling (just not enough and not consistently).  We shall see.  I will report back in a week when the new board is installed.

• 3 months later...
Bds90604@yahoo.com

I do not know if you had this appliance fixed or not but just for your info. Their is a lawsuit pending regarding the same problems with this model and others like it. They have replaced cooling systems, computers and nothing seems to work. We are having the same problems, basically we have a metal closet in our kitchen that is useless and cannot be fixed.

After receiving guidance, we decided to purchase the annual warranty from the manufacturer.  This was our attempt to "cap" the downside.  Cost was around $400.

The first sub-contractor, hired by LG, replaced the main boards, sensors, etc.  They had no idea what the problem was and did very little actual troubleshooting.  They just replaced electronic parts.

The second sub-contractor, hired by LG, knew that it was the compressor and was able to do the work.

I would say it took 4+ visits and 2-3 months to resolve.  I have no idea how many phone calls (20+).  In the end, it was the compressor.  The technician said that he was replacing 2 of them every day.

Good thing my 20+ year old GE side-by-side was still running great in the garage!

Note: I think the new LG compressor is louder than the old.  We complained and they said it is fine (thanks).  That being said, it has worked reliably since the last repair.  

Please send a link about the lawsuit.