Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Problems with my Magic Chef Gas Oven...Again! Model 9475VRV

Flash2

The fault code "F1" will come up on the digital display of my oven numerous times during the day and night.  I will press the clear/stop button which silences the beeping and flashing code.  I may get this code 8-12 times a day.  I disconnected the power while at work today, plugged it back this evening and the fault code went off about an hour later.

The oven works well, but it is so annoying to have to keep silencing the alarm.  I replaced the igniter about 8 months ago and have had no issues since this problem.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Flash  :cool:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Hi Flash, I think we're dealing with Canadian model numbers again because I can't pull up a tech sheet or manual on your range.

Lots of times in these Magic Chefs, the F1 is caused by a bad membrane switch-- that's the touchpad. Ideally, of course, we would verify that. One way is to disconnect the membrane switch ribbon connector from the ERC... IF your range is configured that way... and re-apply power to see if the error returns. If it does, then the ERC or the sensor is bad. If not, then the touchpad is the problem. You can also ohm out the sensor to make sure it's not open. Should be about 1100 ohms at room temp.

Oh wise one :dude: , more information is needed.  Pulling the front cover off, there is the membrane next to the front panel.  Connected to the membrane is a 4 wire plug (2 black and 2 whites, appears to be power) and a gray ribbon connector.  The other end of the gray connector is a PC board attached to the membrane card with a transformer mounted on it along with some white relays and capacitors.  I am not sure what an ECR is or what sensor you are talking about.  Do you re-apply power with the ribbon cable "off' to see if the F1 comes back?

If the keypad is bad, can you buy just the keypad (membrane) or do you have to buy the whole piggy back electronics cards?  The card has been changed before under warranty.  The oven is now 13 years old.

Thanks again, Flash

the sensor that our leader is referring to is the oven temp. sensor- the f1 code you are experiencing is a watchdog circuit,the board does a number of circuit checks on a regular basis. since the oven temp. sensor is a resistor that changes resistance with changes in temp, a certain value is expected when the unit is off, if this criteria is not met,the board simply see's this as a failure(over temp) and defaults to the f1 condition until the proper resistance is seen. your best bet is to check the sensor with an ohmeter from the point that it plugs into the board(should be around 1100 ohms at room temp)-while measuring,wiggle the connecting wires to see if the resistance goes away as often the wires,connectors etc. become comprimised by heat etc.  also inspect the wires and measure the sensor connections ot the sheath of the sensor,any path of resistance here is a fail. sensor is always a good place to start as they are prone to failure(specially after 13 years) and a cheap fix. phantom f1 codes can also occur from outside sources such as flourescent lighting etc. in your immediate power grid,you can install a ferrite bead ring on the incoming wiring in the range to eliminate this as well as induced spikes- another cheap fix  part #12001500.

Thanks Guys.  I checked the temperature sensor and it ohmmed out at 1095, which is close enough to 1100 ohms.  I powered it up after checking the sensor (w/o it hooked up) and got F1 and F7 errors intermittently.  I hooked everything else up and after 15 minutes got the F1 error again.  We cooked in the oven tonight again w/o any errors.  20 minutes after the oven was turned off, the F1 error came in, so I unplugged it again.

Are there any other tests I should be performing to prove what is defective?

Thanks again,  Flash 

• Team Samurai

Did you try disconnecting the membrane switch, RE my previous post?

Thank you Samurai Appliance Repair Man, you are the greatest!  I took your advise and unplugged the membrane card (touchpad) via the ribbon cable.  When I re-powered the oven the time kept flashing, but of course you could not set the time or use the oven, because the membrane was unplugged.  The great thing was that the F1 code never returned.  From your previous postings, it sounds as though the membrane is bad.  Can you buy just the membrane and if so would you happen to have a part number and where I could find the part?  Is it difficult to change just the membrane?

THANKS AGAIN :) Flash

• Team Samurai

Cool! Well, it's at least good to know, even if the membrane isn't sold separate from the board, which I can't look up on accounta no access to Canoodian model numbers, ey? But, glad to have been able to help at least get you this far! :dude:

The Repair clinic has the touchpad -ouch  ( $141):yikes:.  Do members get a "promotional code" to help with the cost?  Can anyone help?

Thanks, Flash!!:cool:

• Team Samurai

Most peculiar-- I didn't think RepairClinic shipped to Canada... don't know why, but have heard them from several of your compatriots. Have you confirmed that they'll ship to you?

And, you know if it were up to me, I'd give you the membrane switch as a complimentary gift, mah bruthuh. Alas, I have no control over RepairClinic's pricing. But, I rectum that's why RepairClinic is a wildly successful retail parts business and I'm still rolling around on other people's floor fixing their broken appliances. ;)

No, oh wise one I am located in the south, a RCA (Registered Coon Ass) from Louisiana!!  Parts Select is about 10-15% lower than Repair Clinic, but I don't know if they have the same quality parts.  Since they are linked to this great website, i would rather support Repair Clinic.  Just didn't know whether the forum members had a "promo code" we could use to get a little savings!

thanks Flash.

• Team Samurai

[user=3212]Flash2[/user] wrote:

No, oh wise one I am located in the south, a RCA (Registered Coon Ass) from Louisiana!! 

Dayyam! Why in the hail did I think you from the Great White North?

Well, in that case, you are correct, sir-- here's the part you need: http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=713064

Archived