Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Asko T761 - what is this part!?

heptoman

Hey guys, first timer on the board but I'm a pretty accomplished DIYer.  Anyway, I had to dismantle my Asko T761 dryer to troubleshoot a tumbler spinning issue.  I THINK it's just over-accumulation of lint, hoping it's NOT the motor, but that's to be determined as soon as I can put the thing back together to test it.

I've already taken it apart to replace the belt a few years back, so I'm not a stranger to navigating the machine, BUT....

When I removed the tumbler from the chassis this time, a strange metal plate that I had not noticed before fell off either the ECU or the front drum frame.  Here are some pictures:

Front close-up view of the frame

WP_20170428_06_55_39_Pro.jpg

Back view of control panel:

WP_20170428_06_55_50_Pro.jpg

Another angle of the same view:

WP_20170428_06_56_05_Pro.jpg

And multiple shots of the offending plate:

WP_20170428_06_56_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20170428_06_59_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20170428_06_59_47_Pro.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heptoman

• Hiroshi

• strumpfman

• sh2sh2

I also need to note that I searched the repair clinic site for this part and didn't find it, although I was going by visual reference and not all parts have pictures.

An update.

I just decided "screw it" and reassembled the stupid dryer without that plate.  It is now all back together, and I did a test run, still same symptom as before so I'm back to square one.

All fuses are good, all lint tracks are clean.  Unit does not tumble unless given a "jump start" with hands.  Then it runs for about 20 seconds and then the overheat switch throws and shuts the whole thing down.  I'll try to post a video tomorrow morning but I'm not going to guarantee anything.

Never worked in an asko but if it's like any other dryer you have a bad motor

ya, definitely sounds like a bad motor bearing... does the motor "coast" to a stop of you spin it by hand with no belt on it?

Here's a video.  Sorry it's split - my phone is garbage as well and the first segment of video was corrupted.

Regarding the "coasting" - as of now I can't squeeze my hand in there to pull the belt off but I'll try later tonight.

I do not know what the piece you are showing us is but I guess the dryer can work fine without it.

Watching your video, I think you could well have a weak or dead motor start capacitor.When the motor starts

it needs 2 phase electricity for a split second, which is accomplished by means of a capacitor(usually

sits near motor but on some makes of dryer under the top cover). Check the capacitor and if it is not the

value printed on the outside replace it. Your dryer is ment to change direction all the 

time therefore it started when you helped it by hand. The control stopped the motor because it wanted to

change direction. If you want to be sure start the dryer by hand once more and when it stops and hums try

to help it by pushing it in the opposite direction. Good luck.

3 hours ago, strumpfman said:

I do not know what the piece you are showing us is but I guess the dryer can work fine without it.

Watching your video, I think you could well have a weak or dead motor start capacitor.When the motor starts

it needs 2 phase electricity for a split second, which is accomplished by means of a capacitor(usually

sits near motor but on some makes of dryer under the top cover). Check the capacitor and if it is not the

value printed on the outside replace it. Your dryer is ment to change direction all the 

time therefore it started when you helped it by hand. The control stopped the motor because it wanted to

change direction. If you want to be sure start the dryer by hand once more and when it stops and hums try

to help it by pushing it in the opposite direction. Good luck.

Wow this in incredible.  Tried opposite direction, and it worked fine but no heat.  Then tried in clockwise direction and it stayed on, but with heat.  I didn't wait longer than a few minutes because I'd rather have some clothes in for a full test.

I never knew that dryers flipped direction.  You learn something new every day.

Thanks for the help, I'll look more into that capacitor as well.

They usually don't, there was an oddball Frigidaire model that did it back in the day- you could tell it was different because it needed a special idler pulley to work in either direction...

Sorry Hiroshi they do! Maybe not American dryers but most European dryers do and Asko is Swedish and very often around the drum and straight onto the pulley. They are a pita to replace because you have to pull the belt very hard to get it on the pulley.

I wasn't arguig Strumpf!  nor was I commenting on ASKO in general... hepto is in the US, so I was reassuring him he isn't crazy- as very few American market models do that!

Clarification appreciated.