Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE fridge water dispenser does not dispense water - GSCS3PGXCFSS, SV401680

Shu Peng

I was replacing the water filter and forgot to soak the filter before installing it. Not sure if this is the reason but after I installed the new one, the water dispenser does not dispense water anymore. I tried putting back the old one and still no luck. It would sometimes dispense a little water (indicating the tube is clear), but it would stop after a couple of short stream of water.

I tried tricks to get rid of possible air in the tube (3-10 minutes holding the tab).  I also opened the back of the fridge after I noticed water started to come out from underneath. It seems that the water is coming out of the valve (the blue side).

I was going to order the valve but just want to confirm if it is the right move. I am not sure if there is other tricks to try and fix it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jiaojiao

• Chat_in_FL

• Hiroshi

• Shu Peng

1. Holding the water dipense paddle for 10 minutes is a bad idea... the valve coils are not designed to be on that long.
  2. The most common cause of water dispense failures on GE side by sides is a frozen supply tube 
  3. remove the kickplate beneath the machine, disconnect the blue and white "john guest" fitting that will be under the freezer side...
  4. press the water paddle
  5. If you get water there, it is a sure thing you have a frozen dispenser supply line.

If your valve body is leaking, definitely replace the valve. If the tubing coming out of the valve is discolored or cracking, replace it also, then perform the steps above...

Sometimes, if there are temp issues with the machine, reservoir in the refrigerator compartment can freeze solid.

Thanks for the reply. I had water right before I replaced the filter and also a little water after that too. So I don't think it is a frozen pipe. But I will do the test as you suggested. 

Depending on your results- the next moves are to keep dropping back toward the water valve and observing where you are losing flow- the part immediately after will be the culprit. 

Be sure the filter is fully advanced into the filter head or you will have no water and no ice!

• 1 month later...

I finally had time to take care of this issue. I was not able to proceed as the valve start leaking once I turned the water on. So I will order the valve and come back to reports the process. 

Thank the masters for taking time guiding me through. 

Need more help! I replaced the valve, followed the test. When I pressed the paddle, I can see there is a rush of water come out for a second, then stops. So the waster is not coming out either from the valve or the filter. The water reserve does not seem to be frozen as I can run the weed eater from the water sprout all the way through the pipe underneath the kick plate. 

What at is my next step? Or should I call a handyman now? :(

Is the filter OEM GE? Seen generic filters not activate the flow pins. Next disconnect the JG water fitting and blow thru the water tube coming from the door.

Next grab a shallow pan or your shop vac and hit the water paddle. Let it Flow to clear itself. NO more than a few minutes as mentioned above.  

If water flows: Reconnect the water lines and test.

If NO Flow:    And you can blow steady air thru the water line out the spigot, do as the man says: Order and replace WR17x12203.

11 hours ago, johnvwright said:

Is the filter OEM GE? Seen generic filters not activate the flow pins. Next disconnect the JG water fitting and blow thru the water tube coming from the door.

Next grab a shallow pan or your shop vac and hit the water paddle. Let it Flow to clear itself. NO more than a few minutes as mentioned above.  

If water flows: Reconnect the water lines and test.

If NO Flow:    And you can blow steady air thru the water line out the spigot, do as the man says: Order and replace WR17x12203.

Blow towards which tube? The one going up towards the water sprout or towards the filter? 

I noticed some water coming out from an open white tube behind the fridge  is that normal?

The water dispenser broke immediately right after I replaced with a generic filter (amazon run out of the GE at that time). I put the old GE one back for now. I highly suspect that the generic filter broke the filter head. :(

I took the filter head out. Blow through everything. Air would come out from both tubes attached to the filter head. It seems the head is working.  Reconnected. Tested. Every time I hit the water paddle, it would spur  a little bit water out first and then dwindle down to drops.  It is a continuous dripping now. Seems like there is not enough water flow.  The water is turned on to maximum  

Is it possible that the pump is not powerful enough?

On 5/2/2017 at 6:07 AM, Chat_in_RI said:

From the symptoms,I would lean towards the filter head:

Part number: WR17X12203

Going right back to this, so common I carry it on the truck.

54 minutes ago, Chat_in_RI said:

Going right back to this, so common I carry it on the truck.

Thanks! I already ordered the head, and a new GE filter. Hopefully it is the head!

On 5/2/2017 at 5:07 AM, Chat_in_RI said:

From the symptoms,I would lean towards the filter head:

Received the new filter head and, VOILA! I got water!!!

Thank you all the masters, especially Chat-in-RI!!

Last time I fixed my fridge was 10 years ago, also with the help of this forum! Each time I spent just about $100! 

You guys rock!!!