Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Roper RTW4440VQ1 Washer - Water on Floor

grimmnar

Hello All,

Last week, this washer started unbalancing with almost every load (those that had towels) and then yesterday my wife called to tell me there was

water on the floor.

So, I removed the shell and checked over the Machine Drain Pump, internal in and out of tub hoses, input hoses from the wall into the back of the machine, and see no cracking or issues.

I did have a broken Suspension Spring which was just hanging, i took it off and rebent a new 'hook' as it was broken there, and re-attached it.

I put everything back together again, and ran a load.  The spin cycle seemed smoother, no bad vibrations, but when I went down to check during the spin cycle, still had water on the floor.

I took off the shell again, and itt appears to be running down the back of the machine from high up the 'tub', where the external 'tub' is and thus down on the floor.  The Water Inlet Valve itself .. seems to be not pouring into the washing basin itself, but along the top of the tubs assembly. (I can tilt the whole assembly and then it does, but evidently that doesn't last as I had water on the floor :) )  If this is indeed the issue, how does one correct this to ensure the water inlet valve pours the water completely in the washing tub area and not around the top ?  (A different way to ask this .. what is the way to ensure the 'tub' stays centered to make sure the water inlet valve pours water into it and not around the top of the 'tub'  ... if indeed it is supposed to do that)

Thank you in advance !

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• grimmnar

• sh2sh2

• Hiroshi

• Koi Guy

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be a spring at the back of machine pulling the tub back

Ahhh the ol Whirpool direct drive... not seeing many of these nowadays.... :( Great machine, I'd suggest keeping until the tub rusts...

There are many possibilites for your out of balance and subsequent leak. Let's start with springs since you mentioned them.... There are three suspension springs around perimeter of the base that attach to a bracket. Those should be secure and springs in good shape. They are cheap to replace so at least replace the broken spring. As mentioned by sh2sh2, there is a counter balance spring located on the rear bottom of tub. The CB spring attaches to the frame of the unit. Sometimes you'll find that it is either broken or the hole on the frame where it attaches to has rusted out. (If so, you can drill a new hole into frame.) 

There are also pads that seperate the skid plate from the delta frame. These are the 'wear pads' and when one finally wears too thin, the metal on metalwill cause the tube not to properly sway with the rotation. This can lead to an unbalance

You can virtually replace the springs and the pads for so cheap it's worth it if you have an out of balance condition.

As for leaks, it is possible that the counter balance spring is gone and the tub is tiltingback, so during fill it could leak. But that is less likely than if the leak is during spin cycle. You can test the unit with the outer cabinet off. You will have toeither bypass the door switch or you can remove the door switch and simply depless for testing.

The tub ring is the top ring that attatches to the actual tube itself. There are several tabs on the perimeter of the tub ring and these should be secure to to tub. Chech to see if they are secure. Also check for a crack in the tub.

I think you'll find the answer when you remove the cabinet and test.

Here are the springs and pads....

*Note that there are three counter balance springs and you only use one depending on the motor (notice color on springs)....

Whirlpool Counterbalance Spring Kit 285901 from AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool Suspension Spring WP63907 from AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool Tub Suspension Pads 285744 from AppliancePartsPros.com

Edited by Koi Guy

Thank you so much for the reply's.  I do have a replacement spring that you have pictured inbound to the house via amazon.  That was the one I mentioned that was broken at the hook on the long side.  It was the one I rebent and attached back to the hole that I hoped was the correct hole.  The other springs looked intact and in place, but if you think it would benefit me to buy those new springs, I will go ahead and get those ordered along with the pads.  I've not noticed the pads physical location, but I'll hunt those down and possibly ask for some assistance on how to replace those when they get in, if it doesnt jump out at me.

Again, thank you !

CAN you show a picture of where u attached the spring? It should go straight down towards the floor

You will need to buy a new counter-balance spring- because it will be the wrong length if you just bend a new hook end on it... inspect the backside of the drain pump and look for stains indicating a leak from the drive hub, inspect the washtub directly to the right of the center (when looking from the front of the machine)  where the plastic reinforcement fin is often smacked by the tub support if there is a hard stop- there may be a white line indicating a crack there.

If you have to, jumper the lid switch and watch the machine during a cycle to see where the water dribbles out...

14 hours ago, Koi Guy said:

I think you'll find the answer when you remove the cabinet and test

Well, I got back from my trip yesterday, springs were delivered, so I swapped all 4 out with the new ones this morning.  The pads did not even look worn, so i did not swap those out.  Two loads this morning, one on medium, second on largest setting and no water on the floor thus far.  The bin still seems to lean a bit forward to my taste (so after i put the clothes in I manually pushed it back both times so the water pours well into the tub at least during the initial fill :) )

Thanks again for all the very helpful comments and guidance ! It is VERY much appreciated !