LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Ice maker won't fill

heysavoy

After repairing a frozen drain plug in the freezer of my Whirlpool Model ET1CHKXKB01, my ice maker 106-626636 will no longer fill with water UNLESS I by-pass by tripping holes V and L. Water will then come into the unit. So I have to assume this alleviates the potential that the insert value is frozen.  I have checked the wiring harness and the ice maker is plugged in correctly as it rotates on it's own. I can also get it to work using by pass method on T & H.  Question: If the water solenoid value is bad, would I be able to by-pass it using the V and L holes on the ice maker? Or since I do have water coming into the unit when I by-pass does it mean its not a bad water value and is something else? I'm fairly new at DIY projects and was so pleased when I was able to fix my frozen drain plus issue but now without an ice maker, well I'll just say it's not quote as gratifying. :)  Thanks to anyone who can help.

If valve opens by jumping l and v and ice maker cycles when jumped but not on its own then the temps are not cold enough for the ice maker to cycle or the ice maker is bad. They go bad frequently when they don't get water because of a frozen fill tube, bad valve, or water turned off and ice maker left on. If your fill tube was frozen then that normally means your water valve is slowly leaking and needs to be replaced.

If it will fill by jumpering V to L, the water valve is good. If the freezer is at 0 degress F, but the icemaker will not harvest, you may have a bad thermostat.

Part number: WPW10715708 Right now, this kit with every extra part you could need is cheaper than the icemaker by itself, go figure...

Part number: WPW10715708

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johntech said:

If valve opens by jumping l and v and ice maker cycles when jumped but not on its own then the temps are not cold enough for the ice maker to cycle or the ice maker is bad. They go bad frequently when they don't get water because of a frozen fill tube, bad valve, or water turned off and ice maker left on. If your fill tube was frozen then that normally means your water valve is slowly leaking and needs to be replaced.

The fill tube was not frozen. It was the drain line at the back of the freezer. Perhaps since I've moved all freezer contents out during repair, my freezer is not cold enough to trip thermostat to cycle thru and fill water? Is that even a possibility? Thanks 

6 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

If it will fill by jumpering V to L, the water valve is good. If the freezer is at 0 degress F, but the icemaker will not harvest, you may have a bad thermostat.

Part number: WPW10715708 Right now, this kit with every extra part you could need is cheaper than the icemaker by itself, go figure...

Part number: WPW10715708

It will harvest ice if I manually bypass by tripping L and V which causes the  ice maker to fill with water.  As to whether it is at 0° or not I'm not sure. I have all of the contents out of the freezer while doing the repair.  Does the kit you suggested work with the ice maker model number that I supplied? Thank you so much for your quick response.

yes, there many part numbers for this style whirlpool icemaker. This will work in your model.