Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Flame doesn't chase back down burner tube

VeggiePoweredHandyman

VeggiePoweredHandyman

I've got an antique stove with an unusual problem. 
4 burners light from one pilot. 
3 of the 4 work normally. 
The last one will work if lit by a lighter directly.

However, if will not light from the shared pilot. 
All orifices are clear of all grease, ash, debris, etc. 
Gas comes out of the ports on the side and goes down the pilot tube - but the flame does not chase it back down the tube to light the rest of the burner.Instead, there is just a constant flame coming out of the burner tube on the pilot side of the tube.  (which means that gas must be successfully flowing out of the side ports of the burner down the tube, as designed.)

The distances and clearances of the one that doesn't work is the same as those that do.  
The adjustable air vents are the same - though I also tried moving them from full close to full open and every point in between, with no change.

I'm all of of ideas as to how to fix this.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VeggiePoweredHandyman

• Tim M

• Hiroshi

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm.  Are you sure you got everything cleaned out?  Can you check it by swapping some of the parts from one burner to another to see what part is causing the problem?  

This may be a place to find parts:

http://www.antiquestoves.com/toac/antiquestoveparts.htm

I don't know, but could it be too MUCH gas is flowing down the tube?  What happens if you interrupt the flow between the burner and the tube by passing something across it?  These aren't good ideas I'm having, just trying anything I can think of.

Is this the kind of burner where the tube is separate or is the tube a part of the burner itself.

Do you have pictures or video?

VeggiePoweredHandyman

I thought the exact same thing, and tried just that, but I wasn't really able to find a way to block some gas flow without blocking too much.

The tube is separate, but unfortunately riveted in place.  I can move it about a mm up, but no other direction.

Didn't take pictures, that would have been a good idea, but it is at a clients house, and I had other things to work on

There is usually "crossover" cut into the burner tube to ensure both sides of the burner light, and if you can remove the entire burner tube, do so, then clean it one orifice at a time in the sunlight- there's got to be some obstruction, one strand of spiderweb can interfere...

VeggiePoweredHandyman

I'll check for crossover and cleanliness thereof next time I'm there.

And as for Tim's suggestion, I learned that the gas flow to the simmer burner (the one that supplies the flame tube) can actually be adjusted independently of the main burner, pilot, and control knob settings and positions, so I'll play with that next time and see if turning it down a little helps any.

Thanks for some ideas of where to go next