LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Fridge colder than set temperature

chezmich

Our GE Profile Refrigerator PSS26SGPASS fresh food section temperature is set to the recommended 37°, but actual temperature is 31-32°. I spoke to a service tech who said the small door at the top right of the freezer section, and that opens into the top  left of the fresh food section could be clogged with frost. I can get to and feel inside of this opening in the freezer section, but getting to the opening in the refrigerator section is blocked by panels that I don't know how to remove, and I can't find any video or info on how to disassemble these fridge panels at the top back of the food section. Can anyone show or tell me how to do this?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chezmich

• Hiroshi

• Econo Appliance

• Debbie M

You have to remove the cover over the lights, which will expose two fasteners, then you have to remove the "cooling tower" that runs up the back wall of the refrigerator section that will expose two more fasteners- after removing all four screws you can take the damper housing off and see if the damper door has broken off of its hinge. If the door flap has broken off, it cannot close, and will cause the fridge to over-cool.

Panels that are not screwed down visibly will most often have tabs that need to be moved one direction, or the other, to release them from the slots that hold them...

Thanks for helping; I really appreciate it.

It is the fridge thermometer, part of the temp control system. The control has worked well for 13 years (is age a factor here?), but it is set to 37°, the readout actual temp display says 31-32°, and the food is much colder than normal.

I have set a separate thermometer on a center shelf, and it confirms the 31-32° of the fridge display.

A service tech suggested setting the fridge temp up to 40° and see if the temp rises up at least a bit, but this would not be correcting what seems to be an electronic malfunction, because we have not done anything to block or restrict any airflow from the freezer - nothing has changed in our use of the fridge or freezer.

I'd really like to be able to look or feel inside the upper left door or opening from the fridge to the freezer to see if there is any frost blocking the opening, but I don't know how to disassemble those upper back panels in the fresh food section of the refrigerator.

Thanks again!

6 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

You have to remove the cover over the lights, which will expose two fasteners, then you have to remove the "cooling tower" that runs up the back wall of the refrigerator section that will expose two more fasteners- after removing all four screws you can take the damper housing off and see if the damper door has broken off of its hinge. If the door flap has broken off, it cannot close, and will cause the fridge to over-cool.

Panels that are not screwed down visibly will most often have tabs that need to be moved one direction, or the other, to release them from the slots that hold them...

Thanks, Hiroshi,

Yeah, I see the white thumb screw and the tabs on the lights cover. I'll try it tomorrow.

Really appreciate your help!

Did you find an answer?  I'm about to give up on this fridge.  It's a PSS25SGNASS - about the same age as yours and doing the same thing.  I can't buy produce unless it can stay on the counter because this thing freezes it.  I've replaced the ice maker every year or two and a water valve.  It makes tons of noise, too.  If it's an easy fix, I'll fix it.  But if not, this thing is history.

The problem seems to be that the diffuser door that controls cooling airflow from the top right-hand side of the freezer to the refrigerator or fresh food side has come off its hinges, and that door is behind and part of the long air tunnel on the back wall of the fridge, and either the top section of the tunnel or the entire tunnel has to be replaced - $112 for part + $83 service call + 1/2 hr service to replace ($260+/-??). Being replaced tomorrow. We have already replaced the control board in 2013 - $300 part and service. Service tech feels cost of service is worth the expense. We have had only one other problem with this appliance: cannot use water filter because it clogs after only a couple weeks, our water supply is excellent, GE techs cannot figure why this is happening, so we don't filter our fridge water???

appliances R en
5 hours ago, chezmich said:

We have had only one other problem with this appliance: cannot use water filter because it clogs after only a couple weeks, our water supply is excellent, GE techs cannot figure why this is happening, so we don't filter our fridge water???

if i were you i would look at replacing this part Part number: WR17X20860

Part number: WR17X20860

it just may be that your filter head is clogged

good luck

Thanks, great idea - never thought of that, and no service tech ever suggested it??!!

.Thanks, great idea - never thought of that, and no service tech ever suggested it??!!

Debbie M,

The entire diffuser assembly, the large upper section of the air tunnel was replaced. In fact the diffuser door had come off its hinges. The fridge section is now holding at 37-36°, and everything else is working well. 

IRONY: Consumer Reports still rates the GE Profile #1 above all other brands, and GE sold its refrigerator division to a Chinese company - go figure!

7 hours ago, chezmich said:

and GE sold its refrigerator division to a Chinese company - go figure!

Not just their refrigerator division - the whole major appliance division!

Consumer reports is a sales rag nowadays-

The diffuser door being stuck open will freeze the filter too... just fill the sink with hot water and let the filter float in it for 20-30 minutes and it will be good to go. If that doesn't have an effect, then go after the filter head

Thanks, Hiroshi!

You have been extremely helpful to us. We had that upper air tunnel assembly replaced - fridge again cooling well, and I'm ordering the water filter head and tube assembly because the water line system clogged up years ago, way before the diffuser door problem happened. It's probably worth the $40+ gamble that that's the issue with the clogging water system...and... the video provided by Budget Appliace Parts to remove and replace the filter head assembly is excellent!!

Thanks again!

Robert