Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Ariston GL4 lasted 12 years or so - Bosch replacement few months?

appleimac

I installed a Ariston 4 gallon electric water heater to supplement my weak hot water in my condo, plumbing it so the hot water entered the cold side, and would be be boosted to the correct temperature if necessary.  It had a cool on/off switch so I would just turn it off when leaving, turn it on before i needed it.  The only caveat is that I had to drain the tank every six months and change the anode rod, or it would be toast before long.  Many years later I think it developed a small leak, and I replaced it, I tried to buy the original Ariston but what came instead was the ugly Bosch replacement. This one has a ugly grey appearance, a dim indicator light, and to turn it off you must turn the temp dial all the way to off, and re-select the temp each time. Each of the two thermostat designs would have pros and cons, but I prefer the Ariston. The Bosch claims a "titanium lined tank" but I see no benefit to that - it doesn't stay clean any longer than the Ariston did. What really got me though is I was smelling a burning smell when the heater was on - I had turned up the temp more when using the dishwasher as I was getting a white film on brown melmac dishes, and was checking the temp where the hot water exited to see if anything was melting, and it wasn't.  Finally I pulled the faceplace off after unplugging, and found the left hand wire to the heating element totally blackened and burnt - why would this happen?  I didn't buy this at HD, but asked there today - and was told that the Bosch is cheaper design, and that I am not supposed to turn the heater off when leaving, just turn it way down - the instructions did not say I could not turn this unit off when I was gone - thoughts?

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• appleimac

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic