Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Safety thermostat replacement in old oven?

bbkettt

Hello all, this is my first time posting. Please bear with me here, as I know basically nothing about repairing ovens!

The temperature in my very old Eaton Viking oven (Canadian model - I could not find a model number anywhere) has been fluctuating wildly, and runs way hotter than indicated, and I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the old safety thermostat needing to be replaced. This model doesn't come with a temperature sensor. As you can see by the photos I've linked to below, it looks like something exploded in there. 

Photos:
https://postimg.org/image/3nlwt1vxx/
https://postimg.org/image/w3jvysfhr/
https://postimg.org/image/uqudrv2rf/

My question is, am I assuming correctly that it could be the thermostat? The elements all look in tact, with no breakages. And if it is the safety thermostat, how easy is it to replace these things?

Thanks in advance for your patience with my explanation, and any advice you can provide. 
Brendan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbkettt

• AccApp

• Hiroshi

• Budget Appliance Repair

I've never seen anything like that. Can you post pics of the oven controls? There has to be some kind of temperature sensor, perhaps a long, metal piece inside the oven. can you post a schematic? To where do those wires go?

Hi AccApp,

I originally assumed that the long metal thing you see in my first two photos WAS a temperature sensor, but I was told that it's maybe a 'safety thermostat', perhaps due to the age of the oven. Also, the little rectangular white box that you can see connected to the metal rod doesn't look like anything you'd see on a temperature sensor.

It comes in through the back of the oven in the exact same way that a temperature sensor would, protruding into the upper-left-hand corner inside the oven. Those yellow and black wires you see in my photo #3 connect to the U-shaped metal clips seen in photo #2. 

Does any of that info help?

50 minutes ago, bbkettt said:

Those yellow and black wires you see in my photo #3 connect to the U-shaped metal clips seen in photo #2. 

Does any of that info help?

Yes, I saw that. I mean where do the other ends of those wires go?

Unfortunately I don't think I have a proper schematic. This is the only diagram I see on the back of the oven, which I'm guess isn't what you're looking for:
https://postimg.org/image/m3af9ttkt/

As for the other ends of those wires: the yellow one connects to this area, which is behind the oven temperature control knob, above the stove:
https://postimg.org/image/d4x6hbk1v/ 

And the black wire connects to this area lower down, roughly behind where the top burner of the oven is:
https://postimg.org/image/mn5vt7aat/

As you can probably tell I know nothing about this stuff, but willing to learn if it's not a steep learning curve. At the same time, I'm willing to admit when I should leave things to professionals. 

Second pic didn't work. Yes, the schematic you posted is just for the door latch. In the absence of a proper schematic, we will need to construct one. I'll assume it is an electric range, so we can start with L1 and L2 coming in. There must be some device (usually an oil-filled thermostat) to control the oven temperature. Most likely it is located directly behind the control knob and will have a bunch of wires coming out of it as well as a thin metal tube. Follow the metal tube and see where it goes. Post a pic of the entire oven, especially the control panel.

It looks like a temp probe that would be part of a radiant cooktop element...

My bet without seeing a complete wiring diagram is that sensor has to do with self-clean to make sure the door latch won't/can't unlock when the oven temp is over a certain temp, (extremely hi self-clean temp).

As AccApp says, look for the capillary tube coming off the oven t-stat that should be behind the oven control knob, it should be inside the oven cavity somewhere, (it may have gotten broke off and not be in there anymore which would cause your out of control oven temp).

Thanks all, this is starting to make more sense now.

Here's a photo of the whole back of the range:
whole_range.jpg

Here I'm touching a long wire (or metal tube?) connecting from the back of the oven control knob into a cavity in the back of the oven:
capillary_tube_wire.jpg

And here I've pulled out the end from inside the cavity:
holding_end_of_wire.jpg

Lastly, here's a pic of the back of the oven temperature control knob:
back_of_oven_knob.jpg

By the way, here's a pic of the back of the oven temperature knob (left) and the oven selector knob (right) if that helps:
back_of_oven_knobs.jpg

And the knobs from the front (written in English and French if you're wondering) :
front_of_oven_knobs.jpg

That is indeed the temp probe... the object in the first picture is, I believe, the cause of the confusion.

Great, thank you Hiroshi. Dumb question, I assume temp probe and temp sensor both mean the same thing? 

Pretty straightforward to replace one of these things, I'd guess?

Replacement is straight forward, but finding a matching part is often a challenge... Using your model # you will need to search for the matching thermostat control.

If you can't find the model number you can look for a brand name and a part number on the old thermostat.

I typed in this set of numbers ( Part Number ?).........204911 1100 and got a hit on E bay, not very good views to locate wire terminals........Check out  your thermostat  by identifying each wire location and what the wires attach to...With the back off, draw your self a wire diagram... more searches  also indicate that this could have an equal    Frigidaire T-stat p/N........It looks like the oven thermostat is in the clean circuit along with the selector switch.... Also  looks like this has an analog clock for self clean............Cannot see if  the broil  element is wired to this.......Some generics are out there, just need to know where the wires  go...... 

• 1 month later...

Hello all, sorry for resurrecting this thread with a super-delayed response, but I managed to find the model # on this range: RSD3009T-2.

Problem is, I can't find a single scrap of information on it online. But it looks like the part that the previous commenter mentioned could be the right one. I just thought I would mention the model # here in case someone has more access to information than I do. Thanks.