Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

RF23J9018sr Store display model

fishcrazy

I purchased this Samsung unit from someone that was not totally upfront about the condition of the unit. Turns out this unit has never had a cooling system installed. The back compressor/condenser compartment is empty. There are only two lines near the middle of the width of the opening protruding from the top of the compartment. According to the picture of the equipment installed which is in the  in the service manual  for this unit there is also a line from the top of the compartment on the left and the right side. Both of these sets of lines are silver in color and are quite small. I believe them to be the yoder loop and side cluster pipes. But that is just a guess on my part.As I said the two pipes on either side are not present in my unit and my concern is that they were no installed in the unit. I am just guessing here again but according to the picture in the service manual these should be there as well as the lines to the three evaporators. My big question is can these lines be added to this unit? I know there is insulation foamed into the sides and back of these units which would present a problem.  I have tried to contact Samsung about this matter but have had no luck with them coming forth with a diagram for the refrigerant line layout. So I don't know where else to get that from. It would be helpful though. The two lines that drop down in the middle area are a continuous loop as air forced in one is connected through the fridge box somehow to come out the other line. I will try to post a picture of the compartment in the service manual to make this more clear.  I could not seem to post a picture of the thing as I promised  but I tried and failed. Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks Jim

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fishcrazy

• john63

• Hiroshi

• AccApp

For lack of a better word yes. This unit never had one installed. Or in this case there are two compressors.

I could post a picture which would be helpful if someone would be so kind as to tell me how. 

A photo would help.

Nevertheless...sounds like the Condenser Coils have been removed.

I'd chalk this up as a con job...and move on to getting another refrigerator.

I have attempted to upload a picture of the rear equipment area but can't seem to get it to post. some direction woould help. thanks

Whether this guy was dishonest with me or not in selling this unit is unknown. He was honest that he did not want to pursue fixing it himself as it would cost him more than he wanted to invest in it. He was honest about it having no compressor though and practically gave me the unit. So I don't feel conned since I'm not out more than I could recoup from the parts that are on the unit. It is totally wired and has the control boards as well as the four doors that are pristine and the family hub in the right door sells for $400 itself. So i'm ok financially in this unit but it is a very nice unit that I would like to make work if at all possible.

Yes, I agree with John... It would be worth it if you could perform all of the fitting yourself, but this machine was never meant to work in a person's home... it is simply a sales exhibit.

I certainly am not disagreeing with John. This was indeed intended to be a display model for sales purposes. I am struck by the completeness of the unit however. I do not pretend to know a lot about refrigerator repair myself but rather seek out some answers from the experts here such as yourselves. Information about the mysteries that lie inside this refrigerators walls is what I seek. I know this is not the conventional type situation you encounter here but I am being shown by Samsung a total lack of willingness by them to provide any useful information about their products. Even their service manual seems sorely lacking in detail. They have forced me to seek the information from whatever sources I can find. I was hoping to find someone here that could fill in the blanks I have from their hands on experience and knowledge. I do find over and over again that people seem to want to shy away from Samsung products and claim that their technicians refuse to work on them for whatever reason. I find that amazing but I am beginning to understand why they feel this way. Anyway I would sure appreciate any insight into the inner workings of this unit that you may afford me. Thanks Jim

The sealed system is missing, it is somethng that CAN be worked on, but to install the entire sealed system after the machine has been completely assembled is very backward, since the tubing and all would have been put in place during manufacture. Secondarily, it generally requires torch- brazing, or special crimping tools to seal all the pieces together to make them gas tight, which presents a major obstacle in terms of "learning curve."

Not to mention wiring the compressor, sensors, and fans to spec...

I highly doubt that Samsung would bother to build a unit without a sealed system to use as a store display. Are you certain it never had a compressor or a condenser installed?

I have seen one or two demo-only models.

Totally forgot about it though...and when "fishcrazy" first posted about the Samsung...it still didn't jog my memory.

But they do exist. Usually demo models will have provision for interior lighting such as LED and nothing else.

Some will have a continuous loop video display...which explains the features/options of the model.

The Vulcan lokring crimper used to join the tubing for the sealed system on Samsungs cost about $1000.00 for the tool alone. Does not come with fittings.  By the time you by the tools and the sealed system components you Will have spent enough to buy a very nice refrigerator. If your not worried about cost and accept the possibility that it may not work out in the end but want a fun challenge then go fo it. Post pictures along the way.

I live up North and have always toyed with the idea of setting up a fridge/freezer with a dryer duct leading to outdoor air with a thermostat and evap fan set up to use cold outside air to cool during winter months... 

just think its crazy to pay for heating my home and pay to keep a freezing compartment inside the heated space.

Richard Demint
On 6/27/2017 at 1:27 PM, fishcrazy said:

I purchased this Samsung unit from someone that was not totally upfront about the condition of the unit. Turns out this unit has never had a cooling system installed. The back compressor/condenser compartment is empty. There are only two lines near the middle of the width of the opening protruding from the top of the compartment. According to the picture of the equipment installed which is in the  in the service manual  for this unit there is also a line from the top of the compartment on the left and the right side. Both of these sets of lines are silver in color and are quite small. I believe them to be the yoder loop and side cluster pipes. But that is just a guess on my part.As I said the two pipes on either side are not present in my unit and my concern is that they were no installed in the unit. I am just guessing here again but according to the picture in the service manual these should be there as well as the lines to the three evaporators. My big question is can these lines be added to this unit? I know there is insulation foamed into the sides and back of these units which would present a problem.  I have tried to contact Samsung about this matter but have had no luck with them coming forth with a diagram for the refrigerant line layout. So I don't know where else to get that from. It would be helpful though. The two lines that drop down in the middle area are a continuous loop as air forced in one is connected through the fridge box somehow to come out the other line. I will try to post a picture of the compartment in the service manual to make this more clear.  I could not seem to post a picture of the thing as I promised  but I tried and failed. Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks Jim

Have the same demo model! No there is nothing you can do, It has no lineset at all and no evaps just fans and lights. Makes for a very cool tool box, plant starter,ect. If not sell the parts on ebay and be done with it.