LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Kitchen Aid oven won't hold temp

graygeoff
Go to solution Solved by Budget Appliance Repair,

I have a Kitchen Aid dual fual 36" oven that I bought last fall from Lowe's (though it was only just recently installed).  Model # KDRS467VSS.

The second time I used it, I realized it wasn't always getting up to temperature.  My first couple batches of cookies took 10 minutes, a normal amount of time.  The third batch was in for 20 minutes and turned to a pile of goo.  The setpoint was at 375, but the actual temp (per the display) was more like 200.  I did NOT put a thermometer in there, but I can assure you it wasn't 375!!  I tried turning it off and on a few times, to no avail.  Then, all of a sudden, it started working again.  Thinking I was crazy, I carried on.

A few days later, I was using the oven again and had the same issue....it was fine for awhile, but then would all of a sudden lose temperature.  I finally said something to my wife, and she had the same experience.

I called Lowe's, since we bought the extended warranty, and they sent a tech out from their subcontracted repair team.  I also noticed that the button for the oven light did not work at times when the oven wouldn't hold temp.  Otherwise, if the oven was working the oven light button would work.  

Of course, the symptoms couldn't be replicated.  He also checked the oven for level (put a socket, on its edge, on the open door to see if it would roll in either direction.  He couldn't find anything wrong, so he suggested a "reset", which was nothing more than turning the circuit breaker off (at the panel) for a few minutes.  

The next time I used it, I found I had the same issue with the both temperature AND the light button.  Then, I noticed that if I pushed the door closed, with a little pressure, the light button would work.  It didn't take much pressure, but it's like the gasket just needs to be depressed a bit.  I'm not 100% certain, but I feel like the gasket is holding the door slightly ajar...but I'm not sure how that would keep the oven from reaching temperature.  Is there a safety in there that would turn the heating element off after the door is left open for a certain period of time?  Is there an adjustment to the gasket and/or safety switch and/or oven light switch?  Anyone have a similar experience?

I'd like to call the appliance guy back, but would like a little ammo first....since the second call will likely generate a charge.

As an aside, not particularly thrilled with the KitchenAid lineup so far.  The microwave came in with a HUGE dent, though the box seemed fine.  Lowe's replaced it.  Then, the ice maker wouldn't stop pouring water out the front.  Repair man fixed that.  The name plate on the hood is crooked by about 5 degrees....still need to fix that.  Now the oven isn't working right.  4/5 appliances in the package have had issues, and they weren't cheap appliances!!!!!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygeoff

• Budget Appliance Repair

• Hiroshi

• Richard Demint

Richard Demint

Wow and these are new appliances! Sounds like door hinges might be worn out but seems to young for it. Any heat escaping around door would confirm that.

• Solution

Don't know if the newer KitchenAid ovens are like some of the older ones, but some of the older ones would turn the elements off when the door was opened, (I don't think the light switch controlled that though, I think there was another switch that the door hinge would engage with when door was closed to allow the elements to work).

There are versions of the kitchen aids that have the door switch as part of the oven lock latch... and I recall having a similar issue.

Part number: W10128708

And if you look into the pin-out, you will see that alot of functions share pins... J3 - AC Power Output(motor door latch, light) For Upper Oven

J4 - AC Power Output(conv. fan, motor door latch, light, cooling fan) For Lower Oven and Power Input(L1, Neutral)

J5 - Relay Control Inputs (bake and broil elements, light, motor door latch, DLB) For Upper Oven

Edited by Hiroshi

If you bought that last fall it should still be under the 1 year warranty. I would call then up and let them fix it so you don't void your warranty and to save your money. 

On 7/11/2017 at 5:06 PM, Richard Demint said:

Wow and these are new appliances! Sounds like door hinges might be worn out but seems to young for it. Any heat escaping around door would confirm that.

Richard - I have not noticed any excess heat coming from around the door.

On 7/12/2017 at 6:48 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

Don't know if the newer KitchenAid ovens are like some of the older ones, but some of the older ones would turn the elements off when the door was opened, (I don't think the light switch controlled that though, I think there was another switch that the door hinge would engage with when door was closed to allow the elements to work).

That's what I'm thinking, that the element is off because it thinks the door is open.  I also seems like it takes a long time to reach operating temp - 20-30 minutes.  But, I have been using gas for almost 20 years and am told the nature of the beast with an electric oven is "slow and steady" and thus will take longer to heat up.

16 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

There are versions of the kitchen aids that have the door switch as part of the oven lock latch... and I recall having a similar issue.

And if you look into the pin-out, you will see that alot of functions share pins... J3 - AC Power Output(motor door latch, light) For Upper Oven

J4 - AC Power Output(conv. fan, motor door latch, light, cooling fan) For Lower Oven and Power Input(L1, Neutral)

J5 - Relay Control Inputs (bake and broil elements, light, motor door latch, DLB) For Upper Oven

Thank you, will relay that info to the tech!

2 hours ago, johntech said:

If you bought that last fall it should still be under the 1 year warranty. I would call then up and let them fix it so you don't void your warranty and to save your money. 

Oh, I fully intend to call them back to fix it.  But, where they were unable to diagnose I'd like to have some info to go by.

Ice maker stopped producing ice yesterday.  I hope this isn't a sign of how these appliances are going to go for us.  I guess it's a good thing I bought the 5 year extended warranty!!!!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

dman535 I am so sorry I didn't get back to you.  The tech DID make some adjustments to the door hinges to make it close better, which seems to have cured the issue.

The oven does take FOREVER to preheat on convection.  Traditional bake is better.  To be honest, typically I put it on broil to preheat...which means a preheat that takes a few minutes vs twenty.