Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Samsung RF28HDEDBSR 23E Condensor Fan Error

jgoldeneyes

jgoldeneyes

Hello All,

I have a Samsung RF28HDEDBSR refrigerator that I have been working on. I have replaced the C fan motor and I still can't get past this error when I plug the fridge in. I have the service manual and I went through all the troubleshooting steps for this error / problem. I am getting the right voltage to the right pins. I even verified that the fan can spin by giving it 12v from a separate power adapter. I even verified that the 12v gets to where the motor plugs into on the housing. Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Man that's a tough one. 

Do you get 7 to 10 VDC at fan connection with it connected?

or did you disconnect and test the voltage?

Edited by 16345Ed

Richard Demint
11 hours ago, jgoldeneyes said:

Hello All,

I have a Samsung RF28HDEDBSR refrigerator that I have been working on. I have replaced the C fan motor and I still can't get past this error when I plug the fridge in. I have the service manual and I went through all the troubleshooting steps for this error / problem. I am getting the right voltage to the right pins. I even verified that the fan can spin by giving it 12v from a separate power adapter. I even verified that the 12v gets to where the motor plugs into on the housing. Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Did you give it the 7 minute delay? Whats the ambient? Page 86 in manual will give you more info but you could be looking at a main board.Also check your harness connections, both sides. I have had several of these that were having an intermediate ground issue for the fans. In that case I would rewire fan ground at main board to known good ground.

jgoldeneyes

I gave it the 7 minute delay. Ambient is about 72 I also put it into FF mode which is like a manual mode to make sure the compressor came on. Forgive the ignorance but what do you mean by harness connections? Also how would I go about rewiring the ground?

jgoldeneyes
10 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

Man that's a tough one. 

Do you get 7 to 10 VDC at fan connection with it connected?

or did you disconnect and test the voltage?

I did disconnect the fan to test the voltage. Got 11 VDC

Richard Demint
1 hour ago, jgoldeneyes said:

I gave it the 7 minute delay. Ambient is about 72 I also put it into FF mode which is like a manual mode to make sure the compressor came on. Forgive the ignorance but what do you mean by harness connections? Also how would I go about rewiring the ground?

Did you check your pulse voltage like on page 86?

Harness connections sorry should have cleared that up, you can unplug connections in multiple places like at the main board, under hinge covers,ect. 

On the ground problems I was experiencing, Did you check to see if you had ground at fan? if you do, you do not need to worry about this.

I suspect either no ground or no pulse width modulation.you said you had the service manual, on page 86 it will tell you all of this.

I'd test for voltage with circuit complete (connector plugged in). See if any difference. 

jgoldeneyes

Ok update people. I am not getting 12vdc to the fan with it plugged in. Only getting around 2 -3. Also I checked all the pulse voltages and I am not getting the pulse voltage on pin 9. The fan does have ground btw. So you think I should just replace the main board PCB? Or could the problem lie with one of the other boards?

Did you say you were getting 12vlts without the fan hooked up?   I so it would be a bad fan loading down the dc circuit.  You would need to replace the fan.

Doc

jgoldeneyes
2 hours ago, electro_doc said:

Did you say you were getting 12vlts without the fan hooked up?   I so it would be a bad fan loading down the dc circuit.  You would need to replace the fan.

Doc

Already replaced the motor in the fan. I verified the fan can spin while in the fridge by supplying 12v to it from a power adapter. 

7 hours ago, jgoldeneyes said:

Already replaced the motor in the fan. I verified the fan can spin while in the fridge by supplying 12v to it from a power adapter. 

You need to unplug other DC loads one at a time from board and test for voltage at the condenser fan. Until you find load that is loading it down. Probably evaporator fan...

Edited by 16345Ed

That sounds like good advice ED.  I wouldn't have thought of that although he did say he already replaced the fan, I missed that.  I'm with you. Curious to see what is found. Does sound like the evap fan is a good suspect.

Doc

Richard Demint
On 7/13/2017 at 10:19 PM, jgoldeneyes said:

Replaced the motor in the fan? Meaning same housing?

Richard Demint
On 7/13/2017 at 7:35 PM, jgoldeneyes said:

Ok update people. I am not getting 12vdc to the fan with it plugged in. Only getting around 2 -3. Also I checked all the pulse voltages and I am not getting the pulse voltage on pin 9. The fan does have ground btw. So you think I should just replace the main board PCB? Or could the problem lie with one of the other boards?

is the voltage between main pcb ground j23 jumper and cn 76 "5" ( sky blue) around dc7-12v? no----- external temp above 66.2degrees?--yes----does dc 7-12v alternate with below dc 2v between main pcb GROUND j23 jumper and cn76 "5" (sky blue)?---no----replace main pcb ground

Not sure what pin 9 you are talking about? What service manual do you have?

jgoldeneyes
7 hours ago, Richard Demint said:

is the voltage between main pcb ground j23 jumper and cn 76 "5" ( sky blue) around dc7-12v? no----- external temp above 66.2degrees?--yes----does dc 7-12v alternate with below dc 2v between main pcb GROUND j23 jumper and cn76 "5" (sky blue)?---no----replace main pcb ground

Not sure what pin 9 you are talking about? What service manual do you have?

I'm sure it's the same one you are using https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5cn84h7OzSjc2xESS15TXZRd1k/view?usp=sharing Underneath where it asks if DC 7-12v alternate with below dc 2v between main pcb ground j23 jumper and cn76 "5" (sky blue) There is a reference box that talks about the pulse signal and it states that cn76 7(F Fan) 8 (R Fan) 9 (C Fan) will generate the pulse signal when the motor rotates. I am not receiving that pulse signal at cn76 "9"

jgoldeneyes
On 7/14/2017 at 6:37 AM, 16345Ed said:

You need to unplug other DC loads one at a time from board and test for voltage at the condenser fan. Until you find load that is loading it down. Probably evaporator fan...

I unplugged both evap fans and something is still loading me down. How many other DC loads are there?

Richard Demint
2 hours ago, jgoldeneyes said:

I'm sure it's the same one you are using https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5cn84h7OzSjc2xESS15TXZRd1k/view?usp=sharing Underneath where it asks if DC 7-12v alternate with below dc 2v between main pcb ground j23 jumper and cn76 "5" (sky blue) There is a reference box that talks about the pulse signal and it states that cn76 7(F Fan) 8 (R Fan) 9 (C Fan) will generate the pulse signal when the motor rotates. I am not receiving that pulse signal at cn76 "9"

I see it, my apologies.

Ok so is that a yes or no with if dc 7-12v alternate with below dc 2v between main pcb ground j23 jumper and cn76 "5" (sky blue)? If no  and I am reading this correct it says to replace main pcb ground.

I would trace the actual wires from fan to board and start testing that way first before I bought the board. i`m not sure how you are testing for ground but using that jumper you might have it there but not at the actual wire. start tracing the c-fan wires down,Test the positive pin at fan and hold your neg. on a known good ground at board and see if you have your 12 volts.

rbmappltech

I had a similar problem this last Friday,  I found  a 500 ohm resistance between the plus and minus of the fan itself. Determine it was a internal wiring harness problem,  a really werid problem,

jgoldeneyes
45 minutes ago, 16345Ed said:

Where are you unplugging them?

do you not have fast track?

I unplugged them at the fans themselves. I don't know what fast track is.

You have service manual. Pull up schematic and determine your DC Loads. Unplug them from board one at a time and see if condenser fan ever gets full voltage. Could be ice maker... or anything like that. 

jgoldeneyes
23 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

You have service manual. Pull up schematic and determine your DC Loads. Unplug them from board one at a time and see if condenser fan ever gets full voltage. Could be ice maker... or anything like that. 

For my particular model I can't unplug individual loads at the board as there are multiple loads per connector. If I pull one connector out I could be pulling 4 or 5 things at the same time so I wouldn't be able to find the culprit. 

• 2 years later...

What ever happened here.  I have the same problem today.  This is the second Samsung refrigerator giving me the same problem.  I followed all the same steps here.  

Just curious, have you tried the force mode step 1? It turns on all fan motor and force the compressor to run at 100%. 

• Like 1