Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool duet steam washer WFW9500tw01 works only when empty

Katehambly

Hi, we have a Whirlpool Duet steam washer model number WFW9500tw01. We followed your video on YouTube and replaced the 2 capacitors on the CCU when our washer displayed the F35 error code and wouldn't increment past 00 in the diagnostic cycle. After replacing the capacitors the washer worked for 6 loads of laundry. After that the F35 code came back. But thIs time the washer cycles through the diagnostic cycle fine. All the way through 09. The washer will also work on the normal and hand wash options if the washer is empty. When I try to add even a very small load we get the F35 code again. Any ideas? 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Katehambly

• 16345Ed

• Richard Demint

Probably using too much detergent. 

HE: 2 tablespoons

HE x2: 1 tablespoon

HE Turbo: 1 teaspoon 

I've tried running it without any detergent. We still get the suds error and then the F35. We can't use the clean washer setting without getting the same error codes. We completely cleaned out the drain so nothing is blocking it. It goes entirely through the diagnostic cycle without any problems. It just shows an error code as soon as we try running a cycle with clothing in the washer

We are debating between replacing the pressure sensor or just getting a new washer. Is there a way to tell definitively if it's the pressure sensor?

Right now the washer only works completely through a regular wash cycle on the delicate option with an extremely light load. I.e. One towel. 

I don't know of a test for the APS. Others may...

do you you still see suds when you run it even though you are not putting more detergent in?

you could try running a few empty loads with some white vinegar.

But if there was that much suds, your APS is likely boogered up  

Edited by 16345Ed

I've never seen any suds. The washer worked yesterday briefly on delicate cycle but now will not work on any cycle including clean without displaying the Suds and the. THe F35 error code. I just wish I knew if we replaced the pressure sensor if that would completely fix it. Right now the pressure sensor is around $100 and a new washer is $400. 

Richard Demint
4 hours ago, Katehambly said:

I've never seen any suds. The washer worked yesterday briefly on delicate cycle but now will not work on any cycle including clean without displaying the Suds and the. THe F35 error code. I just wish I knew if we replaced the pressure sensor if that would completely fix it. Right now the pressure sensor is around $100 and a new washer is $400. 

From what I read you are saying it is an intermittent problem which leads me to believe loose connection. unpluging all plugs and plugging back in sometimes will help.

What detergent and how much have you been using? 99% of problems arise from this. If you have done it for a period of time the detergent builds up on all other parts it is in contact with like the pressure switch.

on the other hand 400 does not seem like a whole lot for a new whirlpool duet steam washer.especially if you know you used alot of detergent in the past or for that matter the wrong detergent.

it sounded like capacitors were replaced, not entire board as well. Who did the work? Can we be sure it was done well?

id run several loads on clean without adding detergent. It's free and worth trying. 

I'm thinking it has to be some sort of loose connection as well. It intermittently works on delicate and rinse and spin cycle. We use whatever HE detergent is on sale and I like to think I'm very conservative about the amount. The capacitors were replaced by a retired high school STEM/shop teacher. I'm very confident in his abilities. I will run a few more cycles on the delicate cycle without any detergent and empty of clothes and see if that helps. I just wish I knew definitively if it was the pressure sensor or not. The washer is at least 8 years old and I don't know if it's worth spending any more money on new parts. I'm looking at. Samsung replacement that got very good reviews. Thanks for all of the advice guys. If you think if anything else I can try let me know. 

Honestly, us techs get frustrated with this issue for same reason no definitive test. They don't give us enough info. 

We qoute the job as board and APS replacement and it takes care of the issue. And advise of detergent amounts. 

Have you checked hose that runs from tub to the APS? Remove and ensure it's clear of obstructions and no holes or cracks in it.