Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore(LG) 795.78749.800- dispenser door won't close (trying to help my appliantologist!)

buckyswider

buckyswider

Hi all, I have a Kenmore 795.78749.800 fridge that has the fancy dispenser flap that closes flush with the fridge door.  It wasn't sealing properly.  I knew that this was well beyond my DIYer capability (especially now that I'm no longer able to search the pro forum) so I called a local appliance repair guy.  No, not a 'handyman' or fixit-all guy- an actual appliance repair service that has been around for a number of years.  

Anyhow, he came out the first time.  This was the first time he'd seen one of these unicorns.  Ordered the first part (I actually forget now what it was) and came back.  Put it in, the door was still unable to close fully on its own.  So he ordered a motor.  Came back and put that in- still no good.  He went and did some research, making sure nothing was missing, etc., and the only thing left is the microswitch, based on my report that in the last few days before his last visit we could push the door closed but the 'beep' door open alarm would continually sound.  The only way to get it to stop was to re-boot the fridge (i.e. power cycle).   So once the switch comes in he's going to install that- he says if that doesn't do the trick he's going to bring in Sears and take care of all of their costs.  Now I'm no rocket surgeon, but it doesn't take on to realize that if it comes to that he'll be losing lots of money on this deal, given the parts he's already purchased, the time he's spent, and the potential sears bill.  He's a sole proprietor, and a very nice and knowledgable guy, so I really don't want to see him lose money on this deal.  

Can anyone offer any tips to pass along to him?  The service manual doesn't have any diagnostic tips for this situation- just how to disassemble the unit.  And, like I said, he'd never seen one of these before (probably not a lot of folks have, sears guys included).  

If anyone is still dubious of my story and this guy's qualifications, I can pass along his company info and contact info in a PM.  And I guess I should probably point him to the pro site, because he's the kind of guy who does research and leverages external resources to try to get the job done.

Thanks!  

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buckyswider

• Richard Demint

• john63

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard Demint
3 hours ago, buckyswider said:

Hi all, I have a Kenmore 795.78749.800 fridge that has the fancy dispenser flap that closes flush with the fridge door.  It wasn't sealing properly.  I knew that this was well beyond my DIYer capability (especially now that I'm no longer able to search the pro forum) so I called a local appliance repair guy.  No, not a 'handyman' or fixit-all guy- an actual appliance repair service that has been around for a number of years.  

Anyhow, he came out the first time.  This was the first time he'd seen one of these unicorns.  Ordered the first part (I actually forget now what it was) and came back.  Put it in, the door was still unable to close fully on its own.  So he ordered a motor.  Came back and put that in- still no good.  He went and did some research, making sure nothing was missing, etc., and the only thing left is the microswitch, based on my report that in the last few days before his last visit we could push the door closed but the 'beep' door open alarm would continually sound.  The only way to get it to stop was to re-boot the fridge (i.e. power cycle).   So once the switch comes in he's going to install that- he says if that doesn't do the trick he's going to bring in Sears and take care of all of their costs.  Now I'm no rocket surgeon, but it doesn't take on to realize that if it comes to that he'll be losing lots of money on this deal, given the parts he's already purchased, the time he's spent, and the potential sears bill.  He's a sole proprietor, and a very nice and knowledgable guy, so I really don't want to see him lose money on this deal.  

Can anyone offer any tips to pass along to him?  The service manual doesn't have any diagnostic tips for this situation- just how to disassemble the unit.  And, like I said, he'd never seen one of these before (probably not a lot of folks have, sears guys included).  

If anyone is still dubious of my story and this guy's qualifications, I can pass along his company info and contact info in a PM.  And I guess I should probably point him to the pro site, because he's the kind of guy who does research and leverages external resources to try to get the job done.

Thanks!  

Not quite sure what you are talking about " fancy dispenser flap that closes flush with the fridge door"? where the ice comes out in the FREEZER door?

Just pulled up service manual and there is quite a lot more then just disassembly procedures on this model. Just replacing parts as you go is in no way shape or form a diagnosis procedure. have him get in touch on here

There's a "flap"...that is part of the left side door...and if broken...will not allow normal/proper closure of the door...which would then cause an alarm to sound.

There's also a "flap" in the ice dispenser housing on the left door...which seals the hole that ice tumbles out of....but...that flap is not connected to a alarm.

Richard Demint
50 minutes ago, john63 said:

There's a "flap"...that is part of the left side door...and if broken...will not allow normal/proper closure of the door...which would then cause an alarm to sound.

There's also a "flap" in the ice dispenser housing on the left door...which seals the hole that ice tumbles out of....but...that flap is not connected to a alarm.

ok lets make sure we are on the same page. the model number you gave pulls up a side by side fridge. Are you saying physically the door will not close or that the door alarm is active with door closed? Replacing a motor led me to believe that you were referring to the ice dispenser as the door does not use a motor? trying to help but need further info and or pictures would help

buckyswider

Thanks guys!  The time he spent with the unit leads me to believe he went through many diagnostic steps, so he isn't IMO a PCM :) .

Yep, sorry, the 'flap' is the dispenser (ice & water) door.  It's a bottom-freezer french door unit, with the flap/door on the left refrigerator door, with ice stowage on the inside of the same door.  I will post up some pics when I get back to a desktop PC.  (I think we can post pics on this site, right?)

From your description...it appears the tech may have replaced a Solenoid (electric magnet)...and possibly the flap door itself.

I suspect that the tech is unsure how the tiny flap door tension spring should be mounted/installed.

The flapper should tensioned toward the closed position.

Richard Demint
7 hours ago, buckyswider said:

Thanks guys!  The time he spent with the unit leads me to believe he went through many diagnostic steps, so he isn't IMO a PCM :) .

Yep, sorry, the 'flap' is the dispenser (ice & water) door.  It's a bottom-freezer french door unit, with the flap/door on the left refrigerator door, with ice stowage on the inside of the same door.  I will post up some pics when I get back to a desktop PC.  (I think we can post pics on this site, right?)

on the contrary the time he spent on the unit it should have been fixed if not the first time most definitely the second and now a third and if it does not work? I`m sorry but time for a new repair guy my friend.

In rereading your post you say the door alarm is going off from the ice flapper being open, the door alarm is not connected to the ice flapper door.

I would check for voltage from the dispenser power board first and be sure it is getting to the solenoid that opens and closes the flapper, in doing this you are also verifying the micro switch works also. The dispenser power board has relays on them that control this function. the relay for the ice door could be bad if you have no power and you would have to trace down that circuit at that point. If there is power to the solenoid when called for then you I would check the resistance on solenoid to verify it is good at this point you can also visually inspect solenoid shaft for rust(common) and also all other parts for breakage or resistance (spring). Hope this helps and good luck!!!

• 2 months later...

Well the independent guy couldn't get it fixed so he refunded everything I paid him.

I then called Sears.  He came out, took the flapper mechanism off, then diagnosed a bad door after not too long.  Stuck his fingers up and said he could feel a gap where cold air was infiltrating the water/ice compartment.  Suspects that some of the insulation has deteriorated.  And, of course, being 8 years old the parts are "NLA".  Diagnosis:  scrap heap.

That really sucks.  Paid a bunch for this thing.  I love the features and form factor on these higher-end french door fridges.  But I don't wanna go out and spend a boatload on another high-end unit it it's gonna need replacing in 8-10 years.  I think there's an appliance recommendation forum somewhere here- time to start looking....:fqrajiak: