Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag MDE2400AYW dryer snags clothes

NormV

My compact stacker front load dryer pinches clothes between the drum and frame above the door.  The clothes get snagged into a notch up there and then it twists them and scrapes to the point of wrecking the clothes.  The drum is tighter against the front of dryer at top edge than bottom edge.  I expect that is how stuff is getting caught. Is there a part to replace or adjust?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NormV

• Richard Demint

• 16345Ed

• Hiroshi

Richard Demint
12 hours ago, NormV said:

Thanks Ed.  Any other suggestions before I tear this thing apart?

There is no way of telling till you take it apart, most of the time when you have clothes catching on something it`s a plastic piece that has cracked or failed in some way or bearings, rollers that have failed leaving room for clothes to get snagged. Should not be hard to determine once taken apart. you got this!

1 hour ago, sh2sh2 said:

Those parts are not for his dryer

Please heed sh2sh2 info... I thought I used his model in my search. 

My apologies...

Edited by 16345Ed

Put an l.e.d. flashlight in the cabinet, kick the lights off, then see where the light shines through into the drum = gap you need to consider.

Richard Demint
1 hour ago, Hiroshi said:

Put an l.e.d. flashlight in the cabinet, kick the lights off, then see where the light shines through into the drum = gap you need to consider.

Brilliant I tell you, brilliant!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back again looking for help finding the right parts for this project. I am going to want all the most likely parts on hand when I try to tackle this job because it is a big deal to get it up and down and in and out of its stacked location and I only want to do that once.  And I need this unit daily. It sounds like the parts shown above are NOT for my dryer.  So I would like to ask you guys for help finding what parts are most likely to cause the dryer drum to tilt slightly downward toward the front causing it to pinch at the top front edge. When I look at the parts diagrams I can't figure it out. 

Dang, that parts diagram is jacked up....

Looks to me like there are support bushings (WP35001073). How many support bushings, I don't know as the diagram shows only one, but I suspect probably two. In addition, and while you are in it, I would replace the 'bushing shaft' (WP35001012).

Been a while since I've been on one of these, but I believe this was the Italian model by Whirlpool. I do remember it a pita to work on. On the outside rear wall is a little box cover. Remove the cover to expose the c clamps that hold the drum support post. I have found the 'bushing shaft' to be worn and have replaced a couple of those in the past for squeaking complaints. I suspect that if the front supports are worn enough to snag clothes that it would cause the rear to get out of alignment as well. The parts are cheap enough so I would replace the (possibly two) support bushings and the single bushing shaft.

Basically, the front of the drum uses support bushings and the rear of the drum is supported by the shaft. This post goes through the 'bushing shaft' to support the rear of the drum. Now getting to it is the tricky part. 

Good luck!

Thanks Koi Guy. I will order those parts today.

I expect you are right about it being an Italian design. We had a matching size Whirlpool washer originally and the repair guys who came over and over to fix that washer said it was Italian design made in China. That crappy thing gave me trouble from day one. Luckily I bought an extended warranty so eventually when they gave up fixing it (maybe 8 visits total) and never worked right (totally died within 2 years) they gave me cash to go get another machine. So now I have a LG that size and it has been perfect.  LG no longer makes a vented dryer that size or I would be tempted to chuck this Maytag.

Thanks for the "Good Luck" wishes. 

Norm