Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore washer noise during spin cycle

dipaoj

My Kenmore Series 70 washer fills, doesn't agitate but will pump out and spin.  However, it makes a very loud rattling sound while spinning and will shut down (thermal overload?) and resume some time later.  Thinking it's the motor, hoping it's not the transmission.  Any thoughts?  Further diagnostic steps I can take?

Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dipaoj

• electro_doc

• vee8power

• johntech

Forgot to add that there's a humming sound after the machine fills and when it should be agitating. Can the motor be bad if it won't agitate but will spin (noisily), or is it a bearing issue?

I would take off the cabinet, set the pump aside, and remove the motor. Check for broken parts. It does sound like something in the transmission. 

Thanks - that was my thought. The machine's 28 yrs old and doesn't owe us anything so if the transmission may not be worth repairing. I've made other repairs to it & the matching dryer but that wouldn't be a job I want to take on. 

33 minutes ago, dipaoj said:

I've made other repairs to it & the matching dryer but that wouldn't be a job I want to take on. 

Check out the video, not very difficult:

Part number: AP3096209

Part number: AP3096209

These machines are sweet... I would fix it!!

If you do the transmission repair, there will be very little you are not prepared to handle on this washer in the future.

Appreciate the encouragement. Seems to make sense to replace the clutch and couplers at the same time as a precaution. It already needs agitator cogs which I bought but hadn't installed. 

On 8/9/2017 at 9:15 AM, dipaoj said:

Appreciate the encouragement. Seems to make sense to replace the clutch and couplers at the same time as a precaution. It already needs agitator cogs which I bought but hadn't installed. 

As a service tech I own one of these machines that are so highly regarded known as a whirlpool direct drive. Personally I would not hesitate to replace a tranny on it. Also the clutch and coupler with dogs is a great idea. For the coupler you may chose to spend a few extra coins and get the "heavy duty" coupler part number (285852A). If you really want to go the extra step replace the pump also, as sometimes the seals on the pump go out and start leaking. Tools required are going to be not much more than a couple screw drivers, basic socket wrench set(7/16, 5/16, 1/4, 1/2), hammer, and youtube. 

Thanks MoTeD. I appreciate the reassurance that I'm in the right track. I got the parts before I had a chance to add a pump so it'll be a separate preemptive (or emergency!) repair. Going to attempt the install tonight. Getting enough room to tip the machine in a crowded basement will be the first challenge!

Well . . . just replaced the transmission, couplers and clutch - and it still sounds like someone's grinding rocks in it. It spun for a minute or two, clattering away, then there was a faint smell (metallic? electrical? Couldn't be sure), and the motor shut down, probably the thermal cut-off kicking in. In other words, no improvement after 2.5 hrs of frustrating labor.

I'm open to suggestions - you've all been great so far and we're in for $240 so there's no turning back. Could it be a tub bearing? I suspect the machine has been overloaded at times. 

Thanks. 

Pull the pump off motor turn on see if noise goes away. This will tell you if the pump is making noise.  Pull motor off the transmission but leave wires connected. Turn on unit and see if the noise goes away. This will tell you if the noise is coming from the motor. With motor off you should be able to turn the transmission by hand in both directions. When noise is the problem it needs to be isolated so you know exactly where the noise is coming from and how to repair.

Like everyone already said that is a good machine. They sell for over $600.00 used at used appliance stores in my area.

Wow!!!   $600 used and I thought someone in my area selling them for $300 was bad!!!!

Still worth it - considering the bad quality of the new stuff out there.....

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

Wow - I didn't think they had much resale value at all.

An interesting find was that the machine had water in it when I removed the drain hose, which explains the funky smell we've been having. Don't know if that's a clue to this or another, different problem. Either way, I've got to get this fixed as my son will be leaving for college in a week and there're be lots of laundry before he goes. 

Good advice from John.  Isolate the problem.  You already changed the trans and clutch.  as to be motor or pump.

Doc

Thanks for responding. While I had it apart I turned the pump but there was some resistance. I don't know how much is "normal."  Should it spin freely? The motor was also difficult to spin - I almost needed pliers to turn the shaft. Feeling a bit foolish for putting it all back together now. Does water in the machine point to the pump? It ran (noisily) briefly before shutting down and humming. 

The motor bearing is toast. The pump should have a bit of resistance, but the disconnected motor should spin freely and "coast" to a stop. New 2 speed motor is part # 661600.

You can put 2 tiny squirts of WD-40 down the motor shaft on each side and see if it will loosen up, then oil it,  but usually it will need to be replaced if it is making that much noise...

Make sure the new couplers are hammered flush with the motor and trans shaft other wise everything will bind up

And the culprit is . . . the motor!  You guys were right, taking it apart in steps was the key to diagnosing it.  At one point it wouldn't turn over at all without coaxing.  Really mad that I hadn't done it that way from the start but sometimes you don't know what you don't' know.  I'll replace the pump and hoses as well, so with a new tranny, clutch, couplers (hammered flush, thanks - no easy task with the new metal inserts in them) and a recently-replaced timer, it should be good for another 100,000 miles.  I hope!

Thanks to those of you who continued to follow this post and add your insights.  I'm most appreciative.

Thanks for the follow up.  Glad to hear you got to the problem.  Great washer for many more years.  Good move.

Doc

3 hours ago, electro_doc said:

Thanks for the follow up.  Glad to hear you got to the problem.  Great washer for many more years.  Good move.

Doc

Agreed. If i might add, you should just for the sake of saying you did, replace the dog agits(80040). Its kinda like doing a rebuild on a classic car and not changing the plugs. 

I will, this weekend. I've had the parts for a while but hadn't gotten around to it. Also, the water inlet valve. Might as well do all the small stuff as well. Thanks for the reminder!