LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Kenmore Elite Microwave 401.88529900 Not Heating

BillHammer

Microwave not heating. Clock/control panel inputs and display work fine. Try to cook something, interior light comes on, fan on,  food table slides back and forth. No heat. Clearly sounds like the high voltage isn't engaging - no buzz.

Did a diode, cap, transformer, magnetron test. Even used a 9 volt battery on the diode. Everything checks out.

On the input side of the transformer there is a 2 terminal white plug and a third hardwired black wire. I assume the white plug is the input power to the transformer, no clue what the other wire is.

So, plug it in and hang the VOM across what I think should be the transformer inputs, with the input white plug inserted. No cook attempted, just sitting there.. I get about 16 volts AC at the end of the terminals. Why not zero? You would know, I don't. Then, put my fave mozzarella sticks in the cavity and try a cook cycle. I would think, if I have the right wires, that the silly input voltage would jump to line voltage. Nope, still 16 vac.

What the hell is going on? Something not switching? But why 16 vac always?

Help!

Thanks,

Bill the Confused

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillHammer

• Rhubarb Tau

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, me again. One more thing. Start a cook cycle, see my 16vac at the transformer input. Pop the door open, look - voltage goes to 0.1 vac. Close the door, there's my 16 vac again. Start cook, 16 vac. Starting to hate 16 vac..

Nevermind the above.  I did more poking around. Found the issue. The circuit board at the top center of the unit - the one with the power fuses, did a little cooking of it's own. I need part and pricing info for a replacement and a new insulated spade connector for the blue wire.

If the board that cooked is the noise filter (two fuses and a wire-wound inductor, small PCB, square), looks like a DE96-00400B. If it's a different board, try putting the p/n in at SearsPartsDirect and browsing the exploded diagrams.

For the spade terminal, I'd just use one off-the-shelf unless there's anything unusual about it. 1/4" spade terminal, 16-14 Ga.?

For what it's worth, looks like this was a Samsung-built unit, but I'm not sure how to pull up Samsung diagrams for 3rd party brands.