Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool wdf520padb dishwasher stops

activa

Whirlpool wdf520padb dishwasher fills, then I hear a (quiet) click-whirr, which repeats every four seconds for about 30 seconds, then the unit stops.

BTW, I believe this unit has a diagnostic mode, which I can trigger by clicking any three buttons three times in a row. When I do this all the LEDs come on, and then just three come on. But I don't have the diagnostic paperwork that's supposed to be in the plastic sleeve inside the kick cover. I must have... "filed" the papers somewhere. If anybody has a copy or can direct me to one online I'd be grateful.

Ok, so the problem was the circulation pump. Interestingly, I was able to remove just the motor from the side of the unit, just slid the washer out, pushed down a locking tab, rotated the pump and it slid right out. After I took it apart it started working. However, it's intermittent, and I think it's something on the PC board for the shaded pole motor (I tested the motor with 120AC out of the washer). The motor is an Askoll M310. But I can't find just the motor itself, which is a shame since it's all modular and just clicks together. Does anyone know where I can get just the motor for this unit? Otherwise I'll have to buy the whole pump assembly and just use the motor.

Motor has updated part number and is sold as an assembly only.

Part number: W10879262

Part number: W10879262

You can pull up a picture on repair clinic.

You will need to install the whole assembly, I wouldn't reccommend just replacing the motor. Since the part has been updated it may not even fit on your existing housing.

Edited by johntech

Johntech,

Thank you for the answer.

"You will need to install the whole assembly"

Why? I was able to easily snap the motor out, test it on my bench, and snap it right back in. It has "O" rings and was clearly meant to be disassembled. I can supply pictures next time I have it disassembled.

"I wouldn't reccommend just replacing the motor."

Why not? Other than the "O" ring, there's nothing common to the assembly. Is there some possibility the failed motor has affected the pump housing?

Thanks again for your help,

Brad

Do what ever you want. If I were to call tech support they would say they designed it to be replaced as an assembly and to install all parts in the kit. Me personally I would spend the extra couple of minutes to do the repair right or not do it at all. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, johntech said:

Do what ever you want. If I were to call tech support they would say they designed it to be replaced as an assembly and to install all parts in the kit. Me personally I would spend the extra couple of minutes to do the repair right or not do it at all. 

If the O-ring gets stretched, pinched, or twisted when taking the shortcut, you are screwed...

One very important thing I learned from this sight is "change the sump".

I did not heed this advice on my first pump call and it bit me in the butt. Now if there is a pump problem they are getting a quote for a new sump.

Plus since it is an updated part number the manufacturing tolerances may be different then the original but visually be the same. Say the housing allows for a few thousandths difference. It may work and not leak right away but could leak prematurely. Aslo since it is updated they may have made minor changes to prevent problems they came across after the appliances were on the market. 

You could have the motor windings rewound. Don't sell yourself short unless you like to wash dishes by hand. I learned very early on in this industry that usually it's better to not ask "why". The manufacturer has their reason for not offering the motor as a separate part and substituting as a whole assembly. If its that much hassle just replace the whole dishwasher. I just looked at a FRIGIDAIRE in the home improvement store for 299$ (USD).