Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Washer Motors Clicks On & Off During Spin Cycle

dipaoj

I added this to a thread on the same washer ("Kenmore washer noise during spin cycle") but it didn't get picked up with that title.

I have a Kenmore Series 70, Model #110.82870120, which has had a plethora of new parts installed over the past 2 weeks: transmission, clutch, coupler assembly, motor, pump, water inlet valves and agitator dogs.  The main problem had been a bad motor which rattled badly and seized periodically.  Once the machine was all back together the noise was gone, but part-way through the first cycle the circuit breaker tripped.  Thought maybe the breaker was damaged when the old motor had seized so I replaced it.  No more tripping.  Now, however, the motor clicks on and off randomly and rapidly during the spin cycle.  The timer continues to run until the "Off" position but when finished, there's an inch or two of slightly sudsy water left in the tub.  I jumped the lid switch and ruled that out, and realized that the clicking sound is coming from the area of the motor.  (I haven't taken the cabinet off yet to pinpoint it.)  The timer is only 3-4 years old, but could the periodic seizing of the old motor have damaged it so that it's not providing the right "signals" to the motor?  Is there a separate motor switch down below?  Something else I should be looking at?  Several participants have commented on how solid these old machines are but this is becoming frustrating!

Advice, suggestions or encouragement are welcome.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dipaoj

• MoTeD

• AccApp

• Scottthewolf

Sometimes the wiring going to the motor develop breaks in them where it plugs into the motor.

I was wondering if it could be a short or other issue with the connector but haven't checked. The motor is new but looked as if it may have been a returned unit based on the packaging. 

I'm really sorry to hear that you are still having issues with this machine. Where did you purchase the motor from? Locally or internet? I would return the motor and ask for a factory sealed packaging. Take the cabinet off and carefully feel the motor. Is it hot to the touch? 

The motor start capacitor may be at fault here?

WP8572717 you should read 189-227uF with a capacitance tester. If not then replace capacitor. 

On the bright side you have a solid machine that will last you many more years to come. 

Pretty sure it a bad timer.   It's not the capacitor if it starts and tries to run but you hear a click at the motor then it slows down and then tries to restart again and repeats this very quickly.

As Scottthewolf says, check the wiring to the motor connector to make sure all looks OK in that area, (no burnt wiring or terminals in the connector block).

The start circuit is working but as soon as the the motor gets to run speed the motor switch opens taking the start windings out of the circuit and since the run windings aren't getting voltage the motor slows down very quickly closing the start switch again and reapplying power to the start winding and this repeats very quickly.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

Thanks for the suggestions.

The motor (and pump) were bought from RepairClinic.  (The transmission, coupler and clutch were from AppliancePartsPros.)  I'll check the motor connection to make sure i didn't bend a pin or pinch something.  The timer is just over 4 years old (also purchased from RepairClinic).  I opened the control console to give it a whiff and didn't smell anything but i guess that doesn't mean it isn't bad.  I've read of these timers failing w/o warning.  In the past, they've always just stopped part-way through the cycle so this is a new symptom for me.  Could the old motor have fried it when it seized or could it merely be coincidence?

An unrelated problem that we've had for some time is that some water always remains in the outer tub.  I thought it was a leaky inlet valve so I replaced it but the problem persists.  Any thoughts on this other issue would also be appreciated.

Thanks to all of you!

There will always be a small amount of water in the outer tub. On this timer you can remove the outer sleeve and look at the contact points. Check to make sure there are none burnt or fused. you can also with the sleeve removed run the machine and watch the timer work. Does this happen on all cycles? could have been a returned motor and the centrifugal switch is bad. maybe another tech can confirm or deny this thought.

Thanks MoTeD. I'll check the motor wiring first, assume there's no easy way to check the centrifugal switch? If it looks good I'll examine the timer as suggested. (Didn't know you could take the sleeve off to check the points.)  Unfortunately, it will all have to wait until Sunday night at the earliest as it's college freshman move-in weekend . Troubleshooting and repairing the machine would be far less work!

Good luck with the move in and keep us posted with what you find. Where abouts are you? There may be a local tech that might be willing to swing by and give you a hand. I know if you are local to me I would. Its much harder to diagnose these kinds of issues over the keyboard than in person.

Thanks.  I'm in northern NJ, outside of NYC.  College is up near Albany - 2.5 hrs away - so we best not forget anything!  At least we were able to limp along with the machine and with the aid of a laundromat get all the new linens, towels and clothes washed.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE (to the never-ending story): I wanted to update those of you who have been so helpful in solving this on-going mystery.  As suggested,  I pulled the timed and took a quick look at the contacts and it looked good, as I expected since it wasn't terribly old.  (However, my mistake was not unplugging it so that I could thoroughly inspect it. More on that in a moment.) I then look at the motor and it turned out that the switch on the replacement was bad.  The damaged box should have been the tip-off - the switch housing had been cracked and it came apart during a spin cycle, allowing the connectors to move around and the black wire to short.  There were obvious signs of burned contacts.  RepairClinic was great and sent a replacement immediately.  We ran a half-dozen loads of laundry and all was right with the world . . . until the motor began rapidly clicking on and off during spin on the next load.  Pulled the cabinet, jumped the lid switch, same problem.  Checked the motor switch and sprayed some contact cleaner on the connector to be safe.  Then, for the heck of it, I pulled the timer again, unplugging it this time so that I could take a good look.  Bingo! There was a scorch mark on the plastic divider between two contacts that couldn't be seen before, and the contacts were clearly burned.  I don't think that was the case the first time but wouldn't swear to it, so I'm not sure what's going on.  The bearings on the original motor were definitely bad; the switch on the replacement motor was bad.  Did either of these cause the timer to stick?  Was the bad timer a coincidence?  In any event, I'm ordering a new timer and keeping my fingers crossed that the whole thing holds together.  I'll be in for $580 worth of parts and several hours of my time by then.

Thanks to everyone who stuck through it all with me.  Now, I have to go replace the handle locking clamps on my Ego electric lawn mower.  At least that was a factory update!

I'll bet the shorting of the wires down by the motor caused the timer contacts to fuse together. The timer can pass lots of current at normal operating levels but you can expect fusing contacts if a huge jolt goes through it. Very rare for a timer to fail, esp after only four years of even heavy use

Thanks for your thoughts. I was pretty sure that the timer contacts looked good the first time I checked them so it's possible. I've only replaced the timer twice in 28 yrs. Strange that it produced exactly the same symptoms though. After the motor cut in and out on spin twice, I ran 6 consecutive rinse/spins w/o an issue, but I think it was after I had pried the contacts apart to check them. I hope the new timer will be the end of this!  We plan on new appliances but only after future renovations. 

I think you'll be good after an almost complete restoration. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that the online retailer took care of you.