Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
  • Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

[Webinar] Basic Refrigeration Sealed System Thermodynamics   09/21/2017

See this calendar event for details:                   
    • Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Webinar Recordings Index Page   09/21/2017

One of the benefits of your Professional Appliantologist membership is that you can attend the regular, live training webinars and you have access to the recordings as well. So if you can't make it to the live webinar, catch the recording at your convenience. The webinar recordings are conveniently listed for you on the Webinar Recordings Index Page.   
myname

GE Gas Range JGBS23SEM1SS – Burners work, Oven and Broiler do not

myname   
myname

Hi,

GE Gas Range JGBS23SEM1SS, gas burners on top work fine.  Oven and broiler do not heat at all.  Oven worked fine yesterday and has had no indication that there was a problem until today.  

I removed the bottom panel inside the oven and tried turning the oven on.  The igniter shows no sign of getting hot at all.  Same when I turn the broiler on, the igniter appears to do nothing.

Just wanted to run it past the pros before I order parts…  should I just replace the ignitor?  Or is there something else I need to check as well?

Thanks!

Jeff

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

16345Ed   
16345Ed

Are you comfortable working with live circuits and do you have a multimeter?

myname   
myname

Thanks for the quick response! 

I’m not an electrician, but yes…  I have a multimeter and with some guidance I’m ok with testing a live circuit. 

Thanks!

MoTeD   
MoTeD

If both bake and broil went out at same time I would suspect control board or gas valve. To test this set oven to bake or broil and test voltage to the igniter. You should recieve 120Volts to the igniter.

Chat_in_FL   
Chat_in_FL

Bake/Broil same burner this model.

Before live testing, check continuity of the igniter, no glow at all is probably an open igniter.

Part number: WB13K21

Part number: WB13K21

16345Ed   
16345Ed
Posted (edited)

Yes like Chat says there's only one Ignitor in this one. (I originally was thinking two because the way the complaint was written) 

if you pull Ignitor you will likely see the break. 

Edited by 16345Ed

MoTeD   
MoTeD

Don't know what I looked at last night it was late. Correct, one igniter. Good catch guys.

myname   
myname

Replaced igniter and we’re back in business.  Thanks for the help!

Fabricator   
Fabricator

I have a GE JGBP38GES that when the broiler is selected, the oven comes on. No glow from the broiler ignitor either. FYI - all top burners ops normally.

While I haven't noticed the oven coming on before when the broiler was operational, is that normal? Or does the oven circuit "see" the broiler not working and is trying to make up for the inop broiler?

AccApp   
AccApp
On 8/29/2017 at 8:55 PM, Fabricator said:

I have a GE JGBP38GES that when the broiler is selected, the oven comes on. No glow from the broiler ignitor either. FYI - all top burners ops normally.

While I haven't noticed the oven coming on before when the broiler was operational, is that normal? Or does the oven circuit "see" the broiler not working and is trying to make up for the inop broiler?

No hijacking. Please start a new topic.