Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Grinding/scratching noise coming from a washing machine (Whirlpool AWM 6082)

Olof Johansson

Olof Johansson

Hi guys, I wanted to know maybe someone could help me to diagnose a source of the noise coming from my washing machine. As far as I get - it may be failing bearing or drum spider (I'm personally betting on the former). But I might be wrong, so I wanted to hear your opinion, before starting to disassemble it.

1. When I'm trying to lift the drum it moves upwards for about 2-3mm and makes following noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JmATn59HV8

2. While the drum is empty it basically makes no noise, even when it's turning on the max speed. But when I add some load (~4kg of dry clothes) it starts to make grinding/scratching from the back (But I must note, that it's bit of hard to hear it on the video. Probably, the best it can be heard when the drum starts to spin):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTcvIGCfLR4

This unit does not have a drum spider, that applies to front load washers only.

It could be the outer tub bearing, objects caught between wash basket and outer tub, or the transmission.

Unfortunately, these machines require special tools to disassemble the machine, and nothing comes apart easily on these machines.

Olof Johansson
2 hours ago, Scottthewolf said:

This unit does not have a drum spider, that applies to front load washers only.

Well, actually I do have front-load washer.

Diagram of it:
schemaevryu.png

It could be the outer tub bearing,

Possibly.

objects caught between wash basket and outer tub

Didn't see any. I used flashlight to inspect it. (Put my head into the drum and flashed it from the outside, before taking off top and back panels.)

or the transmission.

I don't think that my washer has one (see the diagram).

Sorry, I must have typed the model # in wrong .

No, your washer does not have a transmission.

Must be a non USA or non Canadian model.

I have had a few models where the drive pulley came loose causing the pulley to rub on the rear panel.

Edited by Scottthewolf

Olof Johansson
23 minutes ago, Scottthewolf said:

Sorry, I must have typed the model # in wrong .

It's OK, we all make mistakes.

24 minutes ago, Scottthewolf said:

Must be a non USA or non Canadian model.

European. :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, Scottthewolf said:

I have had a few models where the drive pulley came loose causing the pulley to rub on the rear panel.

Definitely not the case, since it made a noise even without the back panel. However, I'll check the pulleys.

But what about the drum (see the first video in my first post), should it move or make noise like that? When I visited my parents, I checked their Whirlpool (they also have front-load washer, but much younger than mine), but its drum didn't move, nor did make that noise.

It was hard to see what you were doing in the video. 

Watch this video and make your own decision as to whats going on with your washer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Olof Johansson

Hi again! Finally had some time to disassemble the washer. The drum spider turned to be in pretty good shape, so, the most likely bad bearings were the source of a metallic noise.

However, now I have 2 new questions:
1. What type of white grease is used for a shaft seal?
2. Do you usually change a tub gasket after opening the tub?

1: silicone o-ring lubricant

2: change the seal between front and rear tubs when separating the tubs. Most of the time it will seal up with the old seal but it's a lot of work if it does not seal so just change it out to be safe. Use the same lubricant on that seal. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Olof Johansson

Hi guys again!

Seems like the washer likes to play games with. :( Well, my initial issue is gone with the new bearings, but now it seems I've a new one. Somewhere about 50 minutes in the cycle (all in all it lasted for about 72 minutes) the washer for 3 relative short periods started to give out squeaky noises (see the video) and after that it sounded like it should.

Video showing the problem (note: I paused the washer before starting to record the video):

I must also note that for some time there were no problems after I changed the bearings. Only about a week ago, I noticed that the motor was sparking too much, so I cleaned commutator from the carbon dust (the brushes themselves were still OK) and the problem with sparking went away.

Olof Johansson
On 9/25/2017 at 4:40 AM, AccApp said:

Sounds like the rubber boot (door gasket) is rubbing on the spin tub.

Well, I guess you might be right. Just inspected the gasket and in some spots there is a small groove (~0.3mm in depth, or 12% of the total thickness) which seems to be rubbed out by the tub. Also top alignment mark of the gasket was a bit out of place.

A bit later, I will try to test it out, to see if re-centering helped.

• 2 weeks later...
Olof Johansson

Sorry, for my late update, but I had some health problems. :/

Re-centering of the gasket (the rubber boot) only helped for a bit - it's still possible to hear the squeaky noise (for more see this post), however in a less noisy fashion.

So I wanted to know, can it be caused by faulty shock absorbers? :unsure:

3 hours ago, Olof Johansson said:

So I wanted to know, can it be caused by faulty shock absorbers? :unsure:

I doubt it. The gaskets take on a new shape in storage, very difficult to get it back where it belongs. I've had to immerse them in boiling water in a few instances then lay them on a flat surface, big side down. That should make it go back to it's correct shape. Then reinstall.

Olof Johansson
On 10/5/2017 at 4:36 AM, AccApp said:

I doubt it. The gaskets take on a new shape in storage, very difficult to get it back where it belongs. I've had to immerse them in boiling water in a few instances then lay them on a flat surface, big side down. That should make it go back to it's correct shape. Then reinstall.

Did as you said, but still no luck (2 minutes before the cycle's end heard the same unfortunate squeaking..). :confused:

Either way, looks like my suspicions about shocks weren't senseless - turned out that one of them was missing one of its top "legs". So I guess I'll try to get a new one on Monday or Tuesday.

Color in the groove you saw with something to contrast. Run it again to see if it gets scraped off. If so the drum might possibly be out of round enough to be fouling the door bellows.