LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Monogram Model # Z1SS420DRJSS

DIYDYLAN

Does anyone know what the output voltage should be (low voltage to compressor)? YouTube video says between 2 and 5 VDC, but I am getting 12 VDC? 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DIYDYLAN

• Adirondack Bob

• Chat_in_FL

Top Posters In This Topic

The inverter receives 120 VAC line-in from the power supply. The inverter converts this single-phase,
60 Hz, 120 VAC into 3-phase, 230 VAC, with frequency variations between 57 Hz and 104 Hz. This
voltage is delivered to the compressor through 3 lead wires. Each wire will carry identical voltage and
frequency. When checking inverter voltage output, connect the test-meter leads to any 2 of the 3
compressor lead wires. The same reading should be measured between any 2 of the 3 wires.
Note:
The compressor leads must be connected to measure voltage output. If the compressor wires
are not connected, or if an open occurs in one of the 3 lead wires or in the compressor, the inverter will
stop voltage output.
The inverter controls compressor speed by frequency variation and by pulse width modulation (PWM).
Changing frequency and PWM will cause an effective voltage between 80 and 230 VAC to be received at
the compressor.
Low speed (1710 rpm) - 57 Hz
Medium speed (2100 rpm) - 70 Hz
High Speed (3120 rpm) - 104 Hz
The inverter receives commands from the main control board.
The main control board will send a (PWM) run signal between 1.5
and 3.5 VDC effective voltage to the inverter. The signal voltage at
the inverter should be equal to the signal voltage sent by the main
control board. The inverter will select compressor speed (voltage
output) based on this signal. A signal voltage from the main
control board (J15 connector ) lower than
5 VDC indicates a
faulty main control board. The main control board will only send a
run signal to the inverter when the compressor should be on.
Note:
When measuring signal voltage (from the main control
board) at the inverter, disconnect the wire harness connector at
the inverter and measure the voltage at the connector.
The inverter will monitor compressor operation and if the
compressor fails to start or excessive current draw (4 amps
maximum) is detected, the inverter will briefly stop voltage output.
The inverter will then make 12 consecutive compressor start
attempts (once every 12 seconds). If after 12 attempts the
compressor has not started, an 8-minute count will initiate. After
the 8-minute count, the inverter will attempt to start the
compressor again. If the compressor starts, normal operation will
resume. If the compressor fails to start, this process will be repeated. Removing power to the unit will
reset the inverter count. When power is restored, the inverter will attempt to start the compressor within
8 seconds.
The inverter has a built-in circuit protection to guard against damage from a failed or shorted
compressor. However, if a failed compressor is diagnosed, order a new compressor and inverter. If the
compressor fails to start after replacement, replace the inverter.

Thanks for your feedback. 

Queation: what range of VDC should or could I see coming from J15 connector when refer is calling for compressor on (warm refer). I checked and get 12 VDC. 

I think this is PWM voltage and mine is currently at 12 volts DC from mother board and at pig tail that plugs into invertor. 

If I remember correctly- you should measure 4-6 VDC with the connector at the inverter connected and 12 VDC with the connector unplugged.

I just checked again and it seems it has 12 VDC when unplugged and  5.4 VDC when plugged in. I think I have narrowed this down to the invertor. Thank you very much.