Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Fridge Model GB2FHDXWB02 fridge warm freezer cold recurring

matty1stop

My whirlpool refrigerator (model GB2FHDXWB02 ) keeps having to be defrosted.  We wake up one morning and the fridge is about 60 degrees and the freezer is still cold.  I've defrosted it multiple times.  There is always a puddle on the floor after the defrost so something was clogged somewhere.  This has now become a monthly occurrence.  

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?  Can I flush the line with hot water?  Replace the fan?  

From what I could find based on the serial number that starts "K1..."  The appliance was built in 2011 (39th week) 

Years ago I replaced the condensation tube with the P-trap replacement part issued from Whirlpool.  This issue is fairly recent so it seems they are not connected.

Thanks very much for your help

Matt

If it's not defrosting then there will be a problem with the defrost system. Heater, bimetal, controls, wires or sensor.

Forced Defrost Mode:

The forced defrost function is performed using the refrigerator display and keypad. Enter the Forced Defrost Mode by performing the following sequence of events:

1. Hold the refrigerator door light switch closed.

2. Press the Refrigerator Temperature DOWN /- keypad 3 times consecutively.

Note: The 3 keystrokes must be consecutive and within 10 seconds.

1. Release the refrigerator door light switch.

2. The control will display F- d to confirm entry into the Forced Defrost Mode.

3. Entry is confirmed by pressing the Refrigerator Temperature DOWN /- key once more. The unit is off and in

the Defrost Mode.

Note: All control functions will be turned off (Compressor, Defrost, Evaporator Fan, the damper will remain in its current position).
6. The control will default to the short run period test.

Note: You can toggle between the S Short and L Long test mode by pressing the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ Key. Long Test mode is used for factory test and should not be used in the field.

7. Once the desired mode is displayed, confirm the forced defrost by pressing the Refrigerator Temperature DOWN /- Key once. The defrost will begin immediately and the display will return to a normal operating display with set point values.
8. Close the Refrigerator door(s). You are in the defrost mode.

Note: Forced Defrost mode can be exited at any time prior to step 7 by closing the Refrigerator Door(s). 

You would need to access the evaporator behind the rear panel in the freezer. You can put in forced defrost mode and trace the power thru the system with a voltage meter. There may be an evaporator thermistor mounted to the evaporator. I don't see one in the parts breakdown but I have seen them hidden in wire harness before.

Edited by johntech
  • Thanks 1

So i started the forced defrost cycle.  Thanks for those instructions.  Doesn't seem to have cleared it up.  Fridge is still warm.  There is frost on the back of the freezer wall.  Fridge has been warm for a couple days.  Not sure if I was too late in starting the forced defrost.  

I'm sorry I did not test the parts with a  multimeter as I do not have one and not really sure how to use one.  

I suppose I need to manually defrost, right?  

I know I haven't given you much to go on but is the control board still the best guess?

Yes, completely defrost the unit manually. The forced defrost from the board is only for testing. Then replace the control board and the defrost thermostat and you should be good to go.

• 2 weeks later...