Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Frigidaire Affinity AEQ8000FSO not drying heating clothes

Jkingsley7

I have a dryer that is running but not producing heat. When I run the diagnostics the code that appears is E5b or E56.  I have replaced the thermistor by the blower housing. I also have taken out the thermal fuse, the heating coil, and the high limit fuse and brought them to a local appliance parts warehouse who put them on a multimeter and said they were all set. So the only thing I replaced was the thermistor it ran great for A few loads over the next few days  like a new dryer.  Then all of a sudden it stopped drying and now it starts a cycle normally taking and will start withled timer then after a while the LEDs start chasing each other then the dryer stops and the 3 lights are blinking next to the start button and I have no heat again. So please help me out.  I did purchase the heating coils but haven't installed them applywt cause when I originally went to appliance place they said they were old but fine when put multimeter on it.  Please any assistance is awesome.  The code again is E5b or E56 

It is is a frigidaire affinity model number aeq8000fso

Thanks k you 

John 

Heater Fault

Temperature reading of control thermistor has not changed in a certain amount of time. 

Position cycle selector to NORMAL, temperature selector to HIGH HEAT and touch START. Measure voltage across terminals on relay RL2 (heater relay) on electronic control. If meter reads 240V on electric models and 120V on gas models, replace electronic control. If meter reads zero, remove power from dryer. Disconnect wire going to NO terminal on the relay RL2. Reconnect power and measure voltage drop between terminal COM on relay RL2 and neutral. If meter reads zero, wire between incoming line and relay RL2 is open. If meter reads 120V, check the rest of the heater circuit. 

Btw. There is a switch in the motor that needs to close as well. M1 and M2 should have continually when you manually close the switch. 

If all this is too much for you I suggest you call a technician. 

16345Ed

I Appreciate your response. DO you have any idea of what it could be though please the high limit fuse or the other fuse.  THe dryer will run for a few minutes after starting with no heat tumbles and then after a few minutes all 3 leds next to the start button blink and it doesnt run it shuts off at that point

thank you so much

JOhn

Thank you when I disconnected all the elements I thoroughly cleaned the dryer from to top to bottom I will double check though thank you

Should I replace heating element I am trying not to replace it if I don't have too do you know what the three blinking LEDs mean next to the start button when it stops that is what is blinking 

Since the unit is operating as you mentioned  after changing the high limit thermostat you may possibly of had a faulty high limit thermostat  and it was shutting off the heat source then giving you the bad thermistor reading error code E5B . If the unit shuts down again check the wire harness  for the thermistor  wiring and make sure the wiring going from the thermistor to the main control board are good. Since you have replaced The thermistor and the wiring is good  then the control board may be the issue at that point.  Plugging in and unplugging  the power to the unit while your working on this dryer may be why its working again possibly each time you put things back together.  It may be rebooting the control board and resetting a faulty relay in the board till it malfunctions again at some point and then your back to square one scratching your head why its not working.  An intermittent issue can be challenging to diagnose. Unless it totally stays dead during the diagnosis process.   hopefully its the high limit thermostat you changed that was faulty.   These Frigidaire Affinity model dryers have had a lot of bad control board issues and upgraded boards to them. If your problem still persists and it is intermittently heating off and on again and everything has checked out good that I mentioned.  I would tend to say your problem lies within the control board and that would need replacing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Darren412

okay it has been working great for the last two weeks and all of a sudden today it ran for about 10-12 minutes then the I get blinking lights above the power button and the dryer shuts off.  

and then when I do a diagnostics it shows up as e5b

I can restart it and then it runs for about 10-12 minutes then shuts off again with blinking lights

help I really don’t have the money for a new dryer but after spending 180 dollars in parts

ughhhh

i replaces the heating element with a fuse on it then I also replaced the thermoostir also

i did have a wire I had to splice a few years ago should I look at that