LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Getting beat up by GTUP270EM5WW Stack units/ phantom faults

nolazach

Two units, two addresses, two seperate problems.  (sorry, hadn't logged on in a while and forgot about the membership thing, and boy it's gone up. :lol:) I'll renew ASAP, worth it.

Okay, one unit has a dryer that runs, and then shuts off.  I've seen this before i older GE and Frigidaire units.  A thermal on the motor, but I can't see if this unit has the same issues.  running the unit it works fine for me and never cuts off.  So it's odd.   The thermals would cut the motor and then not come back on, this is something that self resets and controls power to the motor and heat, which to me sounds like the motor.

OK, for the real issue.

Another unit, same model.  Customer says it fills and then  drains.  I look at it, let it fill, it enters agitate.  I go to diagnostics.  No errors, no criticals or stored.  Motor spins, shifter works, lid and pump work, everyhting seems fine.   So I'm thinking one of two things.  Possibly a clogged inlet valve or a bad spot in the motor winding.  It seemed to fill normal, and I have already seen two of these motors stick in certain spots.

Bonus ---  Never ever ever try and save the customer money by replacing the seal, make them buy the complete lower assembly.  I would rather do sealed systems than change the seals in these.  Long hard job, 26 lag screws, 24 other screws, lots of parts.  Oh and the original spanner nut had to be cut off..  Fun, after all that work, the seal was changed, two months later, leaked again, the plastic around the inside of the seal has been wearing down, so now I'm probably going to buy the drum ($55) out of pocket just to keep this guy happy.   Had I just changed the lower assembly I would have been done in fifteen minutes, instead of two+ hours and now four trips.

Every time I went out of my way to save the customer money it bites me, every time.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nolazach

• 16345Ed

• sh2sh2

• certified tech group 51

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump. Come on guys. This was my gripe when I was a paying member.  I need the tech support but I would get no answers or help.

So I have to pay $200 to geta response? 

Just the fill and drain issue, the other issue I got.  

I just can't figure out the fill and drain. Since I've gotten no help online and can't find any thing in this.  I thought it was the motor, I changed that.  Still same issue. 

1 hour ago, nolazach said:

Bump. Come on guys. This was my gripe when I was a paying member.  I need the tech support but I would get no answers or help.

I've found being more concise in my questions I get better response times. 

When I asked I had three issues.  

The truth is, these issues are newer and less people have the quick answers.

So I'll be more concise.

Property manager calls in job, says machine not running.  Tenants say machine fills and drains. 

I do diagnostics.  

No stored codes, none.

I unit fills and drains, l8d switch checks out (on these units any fault in the lid switch shuts them down).

I do a spin test and an agitate test. Nothing.

I read online that the motors have issues and if the motor won't start it stops the cycle.  Since nothing else showed as bad I changed the motor. 

Well that didn't fix it.  Really the unit works fine when I'm there so the motor was more to placate than repair.  To buy time and give me padding to be a parts charging monkey, because sometimes there is no other choice.  

The issue as described to me sounds like a slow fill issue, but we don't have a fill problem.  

I ordered a fill switch and inlet valve. I'll try that.  If that doesn't work, I'll just cut a refund check.  

It's hard to diagnose something that doesn't fail in testing.   I'm basically guessing based off a description if a problem.  I have tenants calling wanting it fixed.  I have the property manager calling and the property owner.

Meanwhile, question asked on four forums and no answer which tells me this problem isn't common.  

Samarai, help me and I'll sign up for a course today!!  I'll also help on the diy boards because seems few look here.....

When I asked I had three issues.  

The truth is, these issues are newer and less people have the quick answers.

So I'll be more concise.

Property manager calls in job, says machine not running.  Tenants say machine fills and drains. 

I do diagnostics.  

No stored codes, none.

I unit fills and drains, l8d switch checks out (on these units any fault in the lid switch shuts them down).

I do a spin test and an agitate test. Nothing.

I read online that the motors have issues and if the motor won't start it stops the cycle.  Since nothing else showed as bad I changed the motor. 

Well that didn't fix it.  Really the unit works fine when I'm there so the motor was more to placate than repair.  To buy time and give me padding to be a parts charging monkey, because sometimes there is no other choice.  

The issue as described to me sounds like a slow fill issue, but we don't have a fill problem.  

I ordered a fill switch and inlet valve. I'll try that.  If that doesn't work, I'll just cut a refund check.  

It's hard to diagnose something that doesn't fail in testing.   I'm basically guessing based off a description if a problem.  I have tenants calling wanting it fixed.  I have the property manager calling and the property owner.

Meanwhile, question asked on four forums and no answer which tells me this problem isn't common.  

You can't fix what's not broken, is the tenant new, may not realize how quite machine is or that it may do a spray rinse and not agitate in rinse cycle

So it does not just fill and drain anymore?

Sorry I'm a bit confused. 

What is the customer's compliant?

They say it fills then drains without washing.  That's the complaint.

But then told me it worked for two days after repair.  

I'm thinking honestly that they are the type who leave the lid up when putting clothes in and then in this machine if the lid is up after fill it drains.  

I get there and run diagnostics, all is fine. I start a load and it fills and then starts to agitate. 

I cancel that load. Change the settings and temp and start another load, it fills and goes to agitate. 

I wait for it to rinse then leave.  

That day they call and say it failed.  I request funding to change motor and labor with that so I know I'll have funds for repair.  

I try multiple forums looking for the answer to this issue.  The best clues point to being inlet valve.  I check that.  It fills fine. 

Tenants expecting motor, so I change that because that's what they tell the landlord they think it is.  I've changed motors in these that had flat spots and stop in cycle. 

I change motor knowing it won't repair unit. The entire motor diagnosis was to delay the repair to learn more about the issue. 

So again. The problem is it fills and drains and does nothing else, unless I'm there then everything works.

I asked if I could set up a camera and film them doing laundry and they got upset.  To be honest 50% thinks it's operator error, the other half of me knows this is a modern GE and it's likely an electric issue in the control or a sensor. 

worked on a GTUN275** yesterday..... Complaint of rubber smell  like a belt problem.....Unit checks out O.K..Belt O.K...........For a unit that does not fail or show any problems, I inform the customer that I cannot start to change parts  by  "guessing" or what it could be.............Cuz you know the part you changed, probably  will not fix the mysterious problem......I collect for the service call and tell the customer if the problem crops up again,give me a call and I will get back as soon as I can, just  leave the machine   As is..Do not monkey with it..It could lead to the  mysterious problem...

I've seen burnt up belts on these before.  Also never ever ever ever ever ever try and change a seal on these, you'll be two hours in on labor before you find out the tub is bad.  

Always make the customer buy the entire lower assembly or walk away. 

That was last week's lesson.