LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

LG Fridge LFXS29626S model stuck in defrost mode

jasparo

REFRIGERATOR GURU'S, PLEASE HELP ME OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the aftermath of hurricane Irma during restoring the electricity by the power plant I was running my 4500W/6200W peak Craftsman genset to supply a small chest freezer, the deep well pump for the water supply and the refrigerator. The deep well pump pulled a lot of starting current when the pressure switch activated. This made the revs. from the genset goes down for several seconds, returning to normal during building up the water pressure in the pressure tank after the peak current. All receptacles in the house have power surge protection devises. Before going to sleep I switched off the genset and cranked it up the following morning again to keep our food supply frozen and noticed that the evaporator fans didn’t work, the temp. in freezer and fridge were high and the ice in the bins were defrosting.  I plugged the fridge out and opened up the bottom panel and the PCB panel. Then I plugged it back in. I heard several clicking sounds coming from the PCB and the condenser fan returned working but not the evaporator fans. I felt a slight vibration when touching the compressor and heard a soft buzz, nothing else happened for about ½ hour. The control panel at the left door showed all regular info, but no error code, the LED bulb on the PCB board did not blink and the tubes from the compressor didn’t change temperature, after ½ hour or so the condenser fan stopped and after a while I found that the temp inside the fridge and freezer went up to 310 C.

Twenty minutes later the condenser fan started to spin again and compressor vibration returned with the soft buzzing sound. Nothing else.

I pressed the reset button one time, ALL fans started to spin, control panel was fully illuminated inclusive the 88 digits from freezer and fridge. I pressed one more time and the 22 signs showed, then I pressed one more time and expected the refrigerator to go into forced defrost mode showing the 33 digits, but it did not.

The control panel at the left door showed normal operation info. I tried this several times, with the same result. What I checked so far is the defrost control assembly, the fuse is good and the thermistor sensor reads about 9/10 kΩ at approx. 280C.

This description turned out a bit lengthy, but I try to be as comprehensive as possible

Regards; Jasparo

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AccApp

• jasparo

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing these new, sophisticated electronics hate is the variable power often supplied by a small internal combustion engine-driven generator. Sounds like you knocked out the main board. The only real solution if you are in an area with frequent power outages is to have a second fridge running by generator power with 1950's era controls (mechanical defrost timer, oil-filled cold control, etc) and not use the modern refrigerator while only on generator power. Warranty is often voided if unit is run off a generator for this very reason.