Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Bad gas valve? LGR7620LW0

Ajthefixer

Hello,Gurus.

I bought this dryer used and thought it would be an easy fix, thermal cutoff fuse tested bad so I replaced it. I then got the dryer to run and ignitor to light for a few seconds, but no gas. So I replaced the Two solenoids ( whirlpool sealed factory replacements) Same deal...no gas .

Instead of a click when I turn the dryer on and heat is called for, I get a buzzing sound.

The ignitor and switch both test out ok. 

What gives? I want to be sure it's the gas valve before I scrap this thing. I've never seen one go bad, but I think I've eliminated every other option. This particular dryer requires the whole valve assembly with pipe attached. I'm Not dropping the 200$ if that's it. 

Hopefully I missed something else....

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ajthefixer

• AccApp

• Aapltech

I’ll bet the rubber part of the valve is stuck to the valve housing. You can take these apart, you just need a tamper-proof torx bit.

So...I found the proper bit and took the cover off the valve. I don't see anything in there I can fix. The gasket/diaphragm seems to be fine. Hopefully I put the springs back correctly that popped out when I uncovered the valve.

So...still trying to decide if this is scrap or not. Did I mention there is a very perceptible rattling buzzing sound coming from the valve when gas is called for?  

The Ol' Lady is going to insist on s New dryer any second now.

Help.

Remove the coils, then take off the top cover of the valve. You will then see the rubber bits that do the actual releasing of the gas. Check that they can lift off the (aluminum? Die cast?) body.

Ahh.... So the little rubber grommet things on the bottom of the post with the springs on them are supposed to be loose? Let me pull it back apart.

As powerful as the solenoid is, it cannot pull them loose when they get stuck

Okay... definitely onto something! One was stuck exactly like you said,the other wasn't.

When I ran the dryer this time so weird vibration from the valve just the normal clicks. But....no flame. I let the ignitor cycle through 3 times. Nothing.

WTF!?

Shot in the dark here,but is it possible I have an LP orifice in there instead of a gas one? How do I tell which one is which?

Even with an lp orefice it should pass enough gas to ignite. There should be a little number stamped on the brass bit.

There's definitely fuel. I'm definitely not getting a flame. Plug wasn't blocked.

I feel like I'm so close. But, nada.

One was already free, the other I had to wiggle off with a screwdriver.it appeared undamaged. I removed the burner assembly and uncrewed the black iron pipe to check for blockages. It's clear. Nothing significant on the filter screen.

I got nothing. 

Put it back together and remove the little pipe plug. Does gas come out when you hear the click?

On the opposite side of the gas valve from the orefice is a little pipe plug. Remove it to see if gas is being released when it should.