LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

MTB 2456AEA Maytag Fridge (DEFROST PROBLEM)

moish

Help! Maytag!Maytag!

On a serious note, my refrig. (MTB2456AEA) needs a heat gun treatment every 4 days over the past 2 weeks,

I have replaced (1) thermostat    (verified working)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               (2) radiant heater (verified working)         

(3) Defrost timer (verified working)??  

Could the "wire harness to " defrost heater be bad???   How to check with multimeter???

Thank you for your time and effort.

Sincerely,

Mench                                 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• moish

• AccApp

• Lighthouse

• David C

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thermostat must be cold enough to be closed in order to do this ohm test. Good time to check it is before you use your blow dryer. 

Unplug fridge from wall. Unplug the defrost timer. Check ohms between the blue & yellow wires that are on the defrost timer wire harness. You should have somewhere around 250K ohms.

If you do not have continuity then disconnect one of the wires at the thermostat and do an ohm test to see where you are losing your continuity.

FullSizeRender-7.thumb.jpg.4e1896e8b2cced0dc7bbf42e0fc058d0.jpg

Thank you Lighthouse for the quick response w/ diagram.

The thermostat is NEW. (Not bulging from water to ice).  I will check this when I need to bring out the heat gun.

Also, when I replaced the heater, I couldn't find any info on how it orients into the heat shield. (clip broken from old heater).

I need a diagram since heater didn't come with one. I have tried several orientations of heater and shield, (still icing up)

Last night, I tried the last orientation possible. (I think it's a problem of orientation BUT I will try your suggestion )

Thank You again for such a quick response.

Sincerely,

Mench

I sent the diagram so that you could better understand what I was saying about ohming the wiring for the heat circuit.

This may help with the orientation of the heater. May help also to look at parts breakdown on searspartsdirect.com

FullSizeRender-8.thumb.jpg.ece054aaf6c9051249df122ab2aaaf14.jpg

Does the defrost timer advance under it's own power? Is it transferring the power from the compressor to the heater?

Heater is BRIGHT RED. Timer advances since I hear "popping" from freezer compartment(defrost timer in defrost mode).

I will check drain pan.

I still need a better picture (Thank you LIghthouse) of how the element and shield "fit".

Thank you everyone so far who is working on my problem.

Sincerely,

Mench

Have you confirmed that the door gaskets are sealing well and that no other air leaks are occurring?

Does the frost cover the evap evenly? Are you certain the thermostat was the correct temperature and is installed according to the diagram?

Check the junction of the metal cabinet to the plastic liner, apply rtv caulk if there are gaps. How many hours is the timer set to defrost (not adjustable, set from factory and marked on the case)?

Evaporator coil ices up (white) like a "U" shape .

Timer is set to cool for 10 hours.

What do you mean by "was the thermostat at the correct temperature"?? I installed it the way I took the old one off.

The defrost thermostats are made with different cutoff temps, it sounds like yours may be too low and is not allowing a full defrost.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Long time no hear.

First, I want to thank everyone for their help and support in trying to fix my defrost problem.  

Second, let me quickly tell you what I did.  I put freezer into defrost mode removed the thermostat form the circuit.  I measured the ac voltage from blue wire coming into freezer and incoming defrost heater wire.  I got 120Vac.   Also I briefly touched the blue wire directly to the incoming defrost heater wire and the heater started to glow.  I ordered an new thermostat and everything is working fine.

Thirdly, I have a question or two for you .  When in defrost mode, I measured the ac voltage WITH the thermostat IN THE CIRCUIT and got 120 Vac.(I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS BECAUSE THE FREEZER WASN'T DEFROSTING).   (This is haunting me for the last month!!!) Why would  this thermostat last three years since I apparently ordered the incorrect one for my model refrig?  (I know this now since I called up APP's over the phone and they sent me the correct one).

.Why did I get 120 volts ac with the 3 year old "incorrect thermostat" yet I would not turn the heater on????????(I need this question answered so I can "move on")

THANK AGAIN EVERYONE!!!  You people ROCK!!

Sincerely,

Mench