LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

DCS RGS-366SS Range replaced re-ignitor and now all burners continue to spark after burner is lit

mlazzaretto

I had a very weak spark on my burners and they only sporadically lit without use of a match, so I replaced the re-ignitor.  Now the spark is very strong and every burner lights quickly, but the ignitor doesn't shut off and the burners spark continuously after they are lit.  The range used to do this from time to time, but the spark would stop after a minute or two.  Now it continues indefinitely.  Any ideas??  Thanks for the help

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mlazzaretto

• Econo Appliance

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It does it on all of the burners now.  Before the re-igniter replacement, it only did it on 1 or 2 of the burners.

On the wiring of the re-igniter, there is a wiring harness plug on one end, and then 6 individual orange wires on the other end that go to each of the burners.  Does it matter which of the individual orange wires go to each of the plugs on the re-igniter module?  I (probably wrongly) assumed that it didn't matter which goes to which.

Based on your question, I figured that the order of the orange wires must matter.  I turned on all 6 burners and the sparking stopped.  So....any suggestion about how to identify which wire goes to which burner without taking apart the burners?  A continuity test somehow with a meter?

Thanks for your help.

Haha - there's the new issue right there.    The spark module is flame sensitive - part of the flame rectifier system - the igniter sends millivoltage to the module to shut off the clicking,  so correct wiring is important.

You have to correct the wires and hopefully you're good to go from there

Edited by Econo Appliance

Thanks for the help.  Now, how do I figure out which wire goes to which plug on the module?

10 minutes ago, mlazzaretto said:

Thanks for the help.  Now, how do I figure out which wire goes to which plug on the module?

Get your map gas or propane torch,  along with a pen & paper.  Light the first burner,  and then put your torch flame on each ignitor one-by-one,  until the clicking stops.... then write down which ignitor corresponded to burner #1... then keep going and do all the burners,  at the end you will have a list of where each wire should have gone.

Being that you had a different issue to begin with,  theres a chance it still may not light up well so that problematic burner could throw you off.  In DCS ranges with one or 2 burners not lighting properly,  could also be burner cleaning or spark switch.   I'm waiting on DCS parts right now, where another company diagnosed 1 weak burner as a bad spark module, but I went out for 2nd opinion and found it was actually was a bad spark switch along with a dirty burner.   Also have another DCS with cracked igniter.  It's been a DCS week for me.   You never know!

Edited by Econo Appliance

That did it!  My propane torch was buried beneath a couple of projects in the garage, so I grabbed a lighter instead.  Traced the wires and switched them around.  I still had a couple wrong because the burner numbering isn't obvious.  Anyway, only managed to spark myself twice as I was testing the wires and moving them around (reminded me of the times I had to turn the distributor cap on my '71 Camaro to advance or retard the timing, which always resulted in jolts through my hand...).  I now have six working burners that all light with two clicks or less, with the clicking shutting off immediately.  Should be good to go for major cooking for the holidays.

Thanks for the help!

11 minutes ago, mlazzaretto said:

That did it!  My propane torch was buried beneath a couple of projects in the garage, so I grabbed a lighter instead.  Traced the wires and switched them around.  I still had a couple wrong because the burner numbering isn't obvious.  Anyway, only managed to spark myself twice as I was testing the wires and moving them around (reminded me of the times I had to turn the distributor cap on my '71 Camaro to advance or retard the timing, which always resulted in jolts through my hand...).  I now have six working burners that all light with two clicks or less, with the clicking shutting off immediately.  Should be good to go for major cooking for the holidays.

Thanks for the help!

I'm glad to have helped ya out,   plus your story brightened up my day.   It's like completely randomizing the plug wires up on a V8 distributor,  no idea how I would figure something like that out without the internet!

Cheers