Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GSS25KGPABB freezing food

herfdog

This refrigerator is freezing food in the cold storage compartment  even when set at "1". I replaced the damper/thermistor assy. WR09X10050 but it continues to freeze in the cold storage.The new damper is working, I haven't checked the new thermistor yet. Any ideas as to what may be happening here?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• herfdog

• AccApp

• 16345Ed

• Denver Todd

Samurai refers to the compartments in a SxS as Ice cream side and Beer side, most others will call them freezer side and fresh food side. From the parts lookup diagram it looks ancient. Does the model tag say refrigerant 12 or 134a?

It's not that old, the refrigerant is 134a. And I am sorry, I should have known that is the beer side. Unfortunately, currently it is the frozen beer side!

So the new damper is closing? Do you feel air escaping around it? Everything else working ok? Evap fan, etc. Are items freezing everywhere or in specific locations?

Yes, damper is operating properly when manually operated but not closing on it's own often enough to properly regulate temperature. No air leaking by the damper, it is simply not closing enough. The entire beer section is freezing which is great for beer floats! Evap fan is working wonderfully circulating ice cold air around the ice cream section and too much of it into the beer section. So what I am wondering is, is the control an issue or is the new thermistor bad? Or, is there something else about this fridge I am not aware of? I know how to check the new thermistor but I haven't done it yet. I do not know how to check the control. Accapp, I appreciate your willingness to help. Do you or anyone out there know much about this model? And do you know how to check the relationship between the control, the thermistor and the damper? 

If you have thermistors there must be an electronic control board somewhere and it looks like it's in the back. There should be a tech sheet hidden somewhere on this unit that will give you a resistance value for the thermistor at different temps (Main example: Ice water)

• 2 years later...
On 11/13/2017 at 8:12 PM, herfdog said:

I do not know how old it is. The refrigerator side where food should not freeze, more commonly known as "cold storage".

More commonly know as Fresh Food section. 

9 hours ago, Denver Todd said:

Can you tell me how this turned out? What was the fix?

No but... If damper works in test And thermistor in spec at two different temps then board only thing left. 

15 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

No but... If damper works in test And thermistor in spec at two different temps then board only thing left. 

I tested the damper by putting into test mode. I expected it to be closed at the beginning of the test, but it was open. During the test, it would close, then open, then close again. It seemed to respond correctly during my visit. The actual temp showed as 42. I taped the door switch closed. When I set the tempt to 37, the damper opened. When I set to 44, it closed. I tested the thermistor at the board, it seemed to get the correct ohms. But when I put it into some hot water, it wouldn't budge from 42. I replaced the ff thermistor, actual temp temp switched to 59, but it didn't budge from that while I was there. I forget if the actual temp on the user interface is supposed to respond immediately, or if there is a lag in reflecting the sensed temp. 

I set the temp to 38 on right side, tenant will keep an eye on it. If the actual temp doesn't change at all, then it is always going to try to lower it by keeping baffle open. So that means the board is not managing the temps correctly? Frustrating problem. 

On 1/9/2020 at 6:37 PM, Denver Todd said:

Can you tell me how this turned out? What was the fix?

I'm sorry, I don't remember what I did to fix the problem. As I grow older I have trouble remembering what I ate three days ago, let alone what i fixed three years ago so I looked it up in my records. It turns out I had to replace the motherboard which solved the problem.