LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE downdraft gas cooktop valve replacement

greenjp

Howdy folks.  Have a couple of stuck/failed valves on said GE cooktop.  I have disassembled the top of the stove and gotten down to the valves.  I believe they are parts # WB21X5322  and WB21X5323 .  It's not obvious how these are to be removed from the manifold - all the videos I've found are for oven/stove combos and show a linear manifold vs. this round thing.  The part appears to not have a threaded end for the manifold, so does it just slide in?  Any trick to removing it?  Thanks!

Jeff

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greenjp

• AccApp

• certified tech group 51

• MoTeD

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should be a screw with a gasket on the opposite side of the manifold that holds it in place. A model number would help.

Cooktop Burner Valve Part WB21X5323

The threaded part is where the tube to the burner attaches using a coupling nut. The manifold attaching screw is inline with the actuating stem of the valve.

I'm guessing those screw are under the manifold, most likely have 1/4" hex heads.

Edited by AccApp

Here is a picture with the aforementioned screw and gasket, note that the parts photographer inserted screw on wrong damn end... 

geh-wb21x5323_range_left_side_burner_valve-default.jpg?width=70&height=70&mode=cropimage.png.8f0f2071a6c6bdcb14c052e970686ce9.png

Edited by Chat_in_FL

Great info everyone, thank you.  Glad I didn't start yanking on it :)

These things are expensive!  Reputable vendors seem to be in the $180 apiece range, ebay's got 'em for $120.  Yowza. 

Even at $240 you are well on your way towards just buying a new cooktop. Are they broken or just stuck? you can disassemble them and re lubricate them with some high temperature grease:

https://www.etundra.com/restaurant-parts/tools/food-equipment-lubricants/fmp-143-1038-gas-valve-grease/?scid=scplp81455&sc_intid=81455&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6enQBRDUARIsAGs1YQgjefVAbPQi6RbHd-bezQkbjzCsvo-DEHr5tzifhCMsHe5W2FoqmOAaAiU-EALw_wcB

Believe me I'm having the same thought.  One is very stiff but is working now after cleaning it out.  The other appears to be broken, as it will rotate but a low flame stays on.  I'm keeping a large pot of water on that burner (it steams but never boils) and shutting the main valve overnight. 

I'm going to call the county tomorrow to find out if it's necessary to have ventilation for a range.  This one has the "downdraft" feature, which is terrible and we have never used . It pulls all the heat right off the burners and out the vent, pots took forever to boil.  If I do replace it I'd rather go with one sans vent, maybe a 5 burner type.

jeff

Alright so the second of the sticky valves got fully stuck, also in the "on" position, so new stove it is.  Turns out it is not a code requirement for exterior ventilation here, so I've ordered a 30" 5 burner Frigidaire to replace it:

https://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Cooktops/Gas-Cooktop/FGGC3047QB/

Managed an excellent price and prompt shipping via Amazon. 

I'm going to do the physical install myself and have a plumber come for the gas line hookup and permitting. 

Reviewing the installation instructions, the cutout for this new stove is smaller than the existing cutout, by about 1" in depth and 1/4" in width, specifically with that inch of depth coming at the back side where it specifies a 2" distance to the backsplash (mine's at 1").  I figure I'll examine the fit when it arrives this week.  The above-counter dimensions are fractionally larger in each direction.  I figure if the mounting does in fact require that smaller cutout size that I could just add some plywood or 1x3 in the back of the cutout to support, it'll be covered by the stove.  Thoughts?  Thanks,

jeff

You’ll probably be fine and the new one will cover the hole completely. I would prefer something non-combustible but if not a wood filler of any kind would work fairly well. Ideally you’d want to put in a countertop but that’s a slippery slope to tread down as the next thing you know you’re washing the only plate you have left in the bathroom sink during your four month total kitchen renovation. Let us know how it works out.

So healt and safty code in my area (CA) states that all gas appliance be vented because of carbon monoxide. Take that into consideration when replacing a downdraft range.

It’s always a good idea to use a new flex line but if the current one looks to be in good condition it can be reused. Be sure to check for leaks with some soap bubbles after installation.

local code in western Oregon...Cooking appliances will vent outside......Down drafts, Over- the- range M/W  , or regular vents  will work.. .........A few calls  lately for a home sale held up till the venting issue is addressed.....People have removed old  Jenn-aire's  down draft  ranges  ( cost 3000 +  clam$ )  to replace  and installed   a regular slide-in  ( 1500 clam$)...... "Replace the J/A or call a contractor to install new venting."   is what I advised.............. 

Definitely NOT a code requirement here in Montgomery County MD to provide ventilation to the exterior per a discussion I had with the permitting office.  We never used ours as it seemed to slow down cooking and boiling times.  Heck our house has one of those non-vented gas fireplaces too.  We do have a "recirculating" type overhead microwave. 

The new range was supposed to arrive today but got delayed.  Hopefully tomorrow.

jeff

Picked it up from UPS today and put it in.  The existing cutout was indeed larger than the install instructions called for, but it fit OK, if without any margin.  There's a seal/gasket around the underside of the lip that is supposed to be on the countertop (presumably to keep stuff from going under and help keep it stable) which just fit on my counter.  The hole is covered up and you'd never know :)

One thing I didn't check ahead of time was the required width under the countertop.  The mounting/securing brackets are on the side and would install easily if the cabinet underneath was 36" wide or so.  Mine's more like 30", so I had to cut a couple of notches through the side to allow me to get the mounts secured. 

The wife was not on board with me doing the gas hookup, so a plumber is coming tomorrow at 0800.  I've got the new flex line ready so it should be a quick job for a pro. 

jeff