Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

dishwasher run time

mike alan

a person told me there dishwasher was running for so long they had to cancel it because they were afraid it would keep going I said dishwashers that are dirty or have low water temp could have long run times but my question is it possible for a dishwasher just to keep running I'm sure it would of eventually ended but I know my dryer when it was broken on senor dry would run for hours and was wondering if a dishwasher could have the same problem

Yes. The water heater could be bad, a turbidity sensor could be bad or the electronic control could be bad.

I am wondering what the situation is. If they just replaced an old dishwasher with a new one then yes the machine just runs longer. Most new dishwasers run for approx 2hours depending on what cycle is selected. We would need more info to give proper assistance.

Most people are stupid , a percentage of calls are education of the customer when they think the appliance should be working a particular way 

• Like 1

the dishwasher was a more than 10 year old  kenmoore but my question was more specifically about whether a dishwasher could get stuck running. I know dishwashers run for like 2-3 hours but somepeople insist that they run for much longer and I wasn't even sure if that was possible. How long is the longest a dishwasher could run, like if someone said their dishwasher was running for 6 hours before they shut it off is that even possible

Some can run 4 - 5 hours. Yes they can get stuck running indefinitely. Timer models can develop dead spots where the timer won’t advance past and computer models could get a stuck relay or waiting for a sensor input that never happens.

• 2 years later...
On 12/2/2017 at 4:10 PM, mike alan said:

a person told me there dishwasher was running for so long they had to cancel it because they were afraid it would keep going I said dishwashers that are dirty or have low water temp could have long run times but my question is it possible for a dishwasher just to keep running I'm sure it would of eventually ended but I know my dryer when it was broken on senor dry would run for hours and was wondering if a dishwasher could have the same problem

Hey Mike,  i am having this issue,  this is already the 2nd time i am running into it,  first  one was a kitchenaid  i replaced  the optical sensor but issue repeated and customer opted to buy a new unit, the one i have today is a maytag MDB7759SAS0 , spoke to Whirlpool tech support and they said since i have a F10E1 err code its the optical sensor (OWI) replaced the sensor,  lets see if issue is resolved,  let me know if anyone has any insight,  

I replaced the OWI but customer called back and said its still happening, 

While testing a few notes to add, 

It will run over 10 hours dosnt matter which cycle is selected,  however seemes to happen when heat dry and sanize is selected,  dosnt do it when they are not selected at least from the test we are being doing and the last few days, 

Hope someone has more insight

Thank you guys in advance 

Odd f10e1 is a dispenser electrical problem error code nothing really to do with the heater circtuit.  On the left side of the module are 2 blue wire for the heater. You can ohm out circuit and monitor amp draw.  First make sure there is hot water getting to the dishwasher, hotter the better, 120 deg f water is prefered. Next run the daignostic cycle to check heater current and be sure to clear error codes.  The OWI sensor has the thermistor inside to sense water temp. 

4 hours ago, Vance R said:

On the left side of the module are 2 blue wire for the heater

Heater got hot in service mode,  only thing i can think of is the control might not be reading the thermistor in the OWI,  but its a little bit of a weird one and really want to understand whats causing this,  

• Like 1

Run the daig mode and clear the error code, sometimes if the board thinks there is a problem it will lock the heater out in normal mode. 

50 minutes ago, Vance R said:

Run the daig mode and clear the error code, sometimes if the board thinks there is a problem it will lock the heater out in normal mode. 

Done it, i cleared the err codes,  will go tomorrow and read the err codes if theres any new ones

• Like 1