LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Maytag under cabinet microwave - no light

greenjp

Howdy folks.  I have a Maytag (Whirlpool) under cabinet microwave, model MMV5219DE-1, manufacture date July 2014.  The light (on the bottom, not on the inside) no longer comes on.  I've checked the bulb and it's OK.  Any thoughts?  I've got a multimeter and tools to disassemble the thing if necessary but would like some idea of what to look for before going inside.  Thanks,

jeff

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Budget Appliance Repair

• greenjp

• darren412

Most likely a burnt board trace for the cooktop light.

If you pull the main control board and look at the back side it will most likely be pretty obvious where the problem is if a trace is burnt like I suspect.

If you are handy with a soldering iron you can repair the trace with a short piece of wire to bridge the burnt trace.

Thanks.  It looks like the entire underside panel can be removed - will the board be in there somewhere or should I figure on pulling the whole thing down?

I am semi-handy with a soldering iron :)

The underside panel with the grease filters and lights has to come off but that isn't where the control board is.

1) Be sure to unplug before anything
2) Remove screws around perimeter of light/filter panel
3) Remove top/front vent grill, (should be two screws coming down from top, carefully tilt top way from cabinet and slide slightly left or right to remove bottom hooks from body)
4) Should be one or two screws at top of touchpad panel, remove them and the control panel should slide up to disengage the plastic control panel hooks from body and pull forward
5) The control board is on the back of touchpad panel

If you can't repair the control board it might be cheaper to replace the complete microwave, the board runs $182+, a board rebuilder would probably run between $100-$150 plus shipping.

Part number: WPW10686546

Part number: WPW10686546

• 3 weeks later...

check first if your getting the proper voltage required at the light socket from the schematics. when it is energized.   if the voltage is there and you know the bulb is positively good, then I would replace the socket.  If the voltage is not there, then I would check both wires going to the socket and check them for continuity from the socket to the control board. If the wires are good then your control board or a lost common is most likely your problem