Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Sterling GTC 361/5D spark module

cloegering

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AccApp

• cloegering

• Budget Appliance Repair

• OldAsDirt

I am not sure, it could be. When I turn the gas off the only igniter that clicks is the one that does not click when the gas is on, also when a burner is on it does not click when another is turned on. What is interesting is that if I touch the switch wires together they do not click. But if I hold them together and turn on the gas for the failing burner while turning on a nother burner then the ignitor clicks and it lights. That is why I believe it is the spark module. 

If I could attach a photo I could show you the elect diagram. 5 colored wires come I to leads on the spark module from each switch. Each switch also has a line wire to  it ie wired in parallel. On the other side of the spark mod is a lead going to each burner igniter. 

I would say that this does not have flame sensing.

From what I understand you saying it seems like the module might be ok and that you have a burner valve switch issue.

When it was working properly, did the spark continue until the valve was moved to a different position or did the spark stop when flame was established?

2 hours ago, AccApp said:

From what I understand you saying it seems like the module might be ok and that you have a burner valve switch issue.

When it was working properly, did the spark continue until the valve was moved to a different position or did the spark stop when flame was established?

Not sure, but the reason I think it is  module is that when I hold the wires together it  does not spark. I all so tested the switch on another control and it worked.

12 minutes ago, AccApp said:

As a Grasshppah you cannot post directly but can post a link to a third party hosting site.

I could email it to you.

49 minutes ago, AccApp said:

Is the model number actually:

GCT 361/5d?

That is the cook top model, the spark module say model 950 10 02 120 vac 60 hz

Looking at the wiring diagram it shows an input from each burner switch to the module so I’m assuming you have reignition and flame sensing. If you jump 120v to the problem burners input do the electrodes spark?

Edited by AccApp

13 minutes ago, AccApp said:

Looking at the wiring diagram it shows an input from each burner switch to the module so I’m assuming you have reignition and flame sensing. If you jump 120v to the problem burners input do the electrodes spark?

It is only one burner that does not work correctly, it is the purple wire. If I turn off the gas and turn  on a burner the failing  burner will spark and only that burner. 

I disconected from the switch and touch the wires no spark for the failing burner igniter.

The failing burner igniter sparks under two situations, 1 when the gas is turned off and when I keep the switch for the failing burner hardwired on and turn on a different burner. That is why I suspect the module. Unless there is some work around.

Try it with a known good 120v source from another outlet. Are you sure the burners don’t all have spark?

19 minutes ago, AccApp said:

Try it with a known good 120v source from another outlet. Are you sure the burners don’t all have spark?

Yes, 4 of the 5 work fine, the 5th one does not create a spark on any of the burners. The 5th only sparks when the gas is turned off and I turn one of the other burners on then the 5th (bad burner]   is the only one that sparks.

So given the above, if the gas is turned off, how would the other 4 burners know not to spark? Is that part of the spark module function or is there some other thing controlling that, ie something in the burner gas control?

If that is true then you have a spark module like no other one I have ever seen. If you can’t locate a similar one you could just add a single burner spark module for that burner and run permanent jumper wires for L1 and neutral to power it.

Can you find any manufacturer’s marking on the module? They are almost always made by a supplier to the cooking product manufacturer.

13 minutes ago, AccApp said:

If that is true then you have a spark module like no other one I have ever seen. If you can’t locate a similar one you could just add a single burner spark module for that burner and run permanent jumper wires for L1 and neutral to power it.

I have to change one thing, when the four working burners are turn ed on the 5th does spark, but when the 5th non working one is turned on nothing happens and because I tested the switch, it has to be that the purple wire connection to the spark module is bad.

Would other 5 burner spark modules work? 

Also what if it was set up so the purple wire was connected to one of the others in a dual mode? Would there be issues with that.

BTW thanks for the help thinking thru this.